Kale and Quinoa Greek Salad
No matter which Farmer’s Market you visit in Fresno they will have an abundance of kale right now. Kale is best – early spring, winter – perfect time for kale as it likes those cool mornings. Though I eat it year round, right now the leaves are tender and flavorful and since kale is a superfood, it’s a great leafy green to work into your diet and it’s delicious!
Now normally, I make my own Vinaigrette to serve with this salad, but this week when I was out & about, I stopped by Enzo’s Table in addition to all of the amazing olive oils and delicious local products, I spied this Pistachio Pesto from Mattie’s Wood Fired Pizza.
Mattie’s is one of the food trucks that is out at Enzo’s on the weekends. Enzo’s is a great stop if you’re out on a bike ride with your family on Saturday or out for a Sunday drive – if you haven’t eaten at a food truck recently, well they ain’t what they used to be! Find your favorite and check them out!
But the pesto….pistachios, olive oil and parmesan cheese, really savory…it’s delicious and a perfect topping for this salad!
Another key ingredient is quinoa – also considered a superfood – it’s high in fiber and rich in protein. But let’s not get too scientific or overthink this! The reason I’m sharing this recipe with you today is because it’s delicious!
Kale and Quinoa Greek Salad is a meal combining quinoa, kale, fresh crunchy cucumbers, sweet cherry tomatoes and bell peppers, add in salty kalamata olives, crumbled feta cheese. If you use the pesto, dress it when the quinoa is still warm. YUM! You can serve this salad room temperature or chilled, please give this one a try and let me know what you think!
- 1 cup (dry) Quinoa
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ English cucumber, sliced into bite sized chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 orange bell pepper sliced thinly, into match sticks
- 1 8 oz. jar pitted kalamatra olives, sliced in half (15-20 olives
- ½ cup Peperoncini rings
- Measure one cup dry quinoa and cook according to package directions, set aside to cool.
- In a very large salad bowl, put about half the bag of the rinsed & dried kale.
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise and remove the seeds by running a spoon down the middle. Chop it into bite sized pieces. Slice the cherry tomatoes, bell pepper & olives. Add these items and the Peperoncini pepper rings into the salad bowl.
- When the quinoa has cooled, add it and the crumbled feta cheese to the salad bowl and toss it with a Greek Vinaigrette Salad Dressing.
- This can be served at room temperature or chilled. It’s also great the next day.
- Nutritional information based on 6 2 cup servings and includes Greek Vinaigrette Salad Dressing.
Speaking of letting me know what you think….tell me – what type of meals can I share with you? Do you like quick cooking 30 minute meals? Is the slow cooker a go-to for your busy family? Please let me know, I’d love to customize this weekly recipe share to best fit you!