So long has it been since we had a measureable amount of precipitation fall from the sky I thought we all may need a reminder of all the fun it can bring outdoors. While this is not a complete list of all the rainy day joys I’m putting out my top 10 as a starter kit for those who need inspiration.
10. Puddle jumping. Nothing quite brings back the feeling of being a child than stomping in a good ole puddle with both feet. Forget about what others might think on our next rainy day and take my advice. Jump in with both feet and watch your frown turn upside down.
9. Running in the rain. A light drizzle to a hard rain cant stop a runner who needs some miles. In fact most hard core runners I know get excited when there is a bit of the wet stuff falling when its time to train. Add a hat to your kit and go for it!
8. Muddy MTB ride. All of the trails low enough to not be covered with snow are typically sandy most of the year. Add a nice day of rain and they become the MTB version of a powder day on the slopes. Just remember a plastic trash bag and a change of clothes so you don’t bring the mud inside the car for the ride home.
7. Take the 4wd out for a spin. For all my 4wheeling friends out there in FresYes you make the list so lock in your hubs and go have some fun. Bald Mountain above Shaver is one of the best places to go snow wheeling in California, PERIOD. Grab some friends, air down and go have some fun. Just remember the shovel, warm clothes and plenty of food just in case…….
6. Ice skating in Yosemite. Take the kids up to Curry Village and enjoy the rink. There is no other Yosemite experience like it. Scratch that there is no other experience like it on the planet!
5. Snowshoeing. Want to run in the snow but its a bit soft? Strap on some snow shoes and hit the trail. The amount of ground you can cover is out of this world and the quiet of the forest when covered with snow is both eerie and cool.
4. Kayaking the river. Drop in out at Lost Lake and take a ride down the river in a Kayak to experience the San Joaquin in a whole new way. While a nice spring day is hard to beat taking on the river during a winters day with a light drizzle is something to behold.
3. Coffee shop hopping. Cold wet day have you down? Grab a friend, get in the car and do a coffee shop crawl. Hot coffee, good conversation and maybe a pastry out on the patio during an otherwise wasted day because of the rain sounds like a great way to spend a few hours in my book.
2. Skiing. Those of us who ski or snow board all know the urge to call in sick on any day that promises fresh pow. I doesn’t matter that you have a meeting or an assignment due when there is a foot or more of the fresh stuff…….Cough, cough……….now is there.
And my personal NUMBER ONE outdoors thing to do on a rainy, snowy or muddy day is……………. CYCLOCROSS. Any bike rider with a cross bike and a set of toe spikes knows how the heart starts to race when the sky starts falling. Add in a race day and you have the holy grail of cycle races. Most hard core cyclocross racers even have a special set up just for the rain. One that has been tried and tested and set aside just for the hope of one rainy race day.