She lives in Fresno with her husband and two Boston Terriers, Babushka and Bambino who like to run after soccer balls just like their dad.
The first time I saw an air bike was at my old CrossFit Box. It was an older Airdyne brand bike, sitting in a corner, only used by a couple of people (usually older) to warm up before class started. I never tried it because it looked old, rusty and from the 70’s (yes I tend to be snobby about my equipment) and mainly because it was never a part of the workouts. It was also awkward looking to me: why would a stationary bike have moving arm handles??!!! But besides that, I never gave “that thing” much thought….
Fast forward a year and a half later I decided to change things up and become a member of a brand new Crossfit in town with state of the art facilities, very nice locker rooms, brand new equipment and check it out, a couple of brand new air bikes! These did not look like they were made in the 70’s AND in this “box” they actually used them for workouts …huh…? “Whatever!” I told myself, “I am a spin class machine and former triathlete, so whenever they decide to make us use these silly looking bikes, I will show everyone how it is done!!!”
30 seconds into my first Assault Bike workout (this is the official name of this evil evil EVIL machines) I thought I was going to pass out. 30 SECONDS IN!!!!!! WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!??????????? THESE ARE FREAKING LEGIT WORKOUT TORTURE DEVICES! That day I did 3 sets of 2 minutes of all-out Assault Bike pedaling, and when I was done, all I could think was: “I just worked out for 6 minutes but I feel like I ran up a hill for half an hour!” and also, “Thank God no one is crazy enough to make an entire workout out of these things!” BOYYYYYYYYYY I WAS WRONG!
I found Mar Cardio Studio a couple of months ago, after one of my local workout buddies kept raving about them on Facebook. As soon as I clicked on their website this is what I saw:
There is was: my frenemy, the Assault Bike! My heart started pumping, immediately with a mix of excitement, fear, curiosity and eagerness to try this place out as soon as possible. There was no doubt in my mind that Mar Cardio Studio had a unique kick-butt fitness program that I HAD TO TRY!!!!!!!!
Mar Cardio is located inside Dethrone MMA in Bullard Avenue. The studio’s unique workout concept was developed by Dethrone’s co-owner and world class athlete Josh Koscheck (NCAA Division I Wrestling Champion and UFC professional athlete), who has been using the Air Assault Bike – High Intensity Interval training methodology to get fight ready for the past 10 years. Many professional fighters utilize the same kind of workout routine to prepare for their fights.
Last week I had the opportunity to try out their Ironman class with coach Veronica, and man, I GOT AN AMAZING WORKOUT in only 45 minutes! The workout consisted of 1 minute intervals between the Assault bike and dynamic weight or body-weight exercises such as squats, push-ups, burpees, etc.
So if you are interested in Mar Cardio Studio, here is what you can expect:
- Classes are CHALLENGING, however, they are adaptable to ANY fitness level. Air Assault Bikes use a fan, which builds air resistance, so the fastest you pedal the hardest it gets. This means that throughout the class you can slow down if you need to or push harder if you are a maniac and enjoy challenging yourself (like yours truly)
- The classes go by fast and they are fun. I enjoyed it because you are only doing one type of exercise for a maximum of a minute. So right when you think you can’t pedal anymore or do one more squat the minute is up and you are on to the next thing
- During every class, the studio turns on a TV screen that shows each 1 minute exercise. This helped me maintain my good form and to make sure that I was doing the right kind of movement every single time
- YOU WILL SWEAT…A LOT. You will burn a lot of calories and you will improve your level or cardiovascular resistance fast!
- Scheduling a class is soooo easy. You can go to http://marcardiostudio.com/ and sign up for a single class or to buy a package of classes. You can download their app on your phone and look at their weekly schedule, class descriptions and reserve your spot in a class as well.
- Classes are relatively small, so you will get a lot of personal attention from the coaches. I felt like I was getting a semi-private personal training lesson.
- You will form a love-hate relationship with the Assault Bike. I am in GOOD shape and still, getting on that thing is one of the hardest forms of exercise I have ever done. I hate how hard I have to push myself when I am using that thing BUT I LOVE what it does to my entire body.
I highly recommend Mar Cardio Studio. It is not only ran by professional athletes who know what they are doing, but also, you won’t find this kind of workout anywhere in Fresno. I am a big fan and I know I will be using my app to sign up for a few more classes at Mar in the next couple of weeks!