My first Spartan Race was back in 2011, in Temecula. The racing series was fairly new back then and my friend and I signed up without knowing what we were getting ourselves into. On paper, it looked like another mud run…in reality it turned out to be one of the most challenging obstacle races we had ever done! Not only because the course was mostly uphill, but also because the obstacles were actually VERY tough and pretty sophisticated. While most of the other mud runs we had done before offered mud pits and mud mountains and some barrier walls, this race’s obstacles were much sophisticated and included rope climbs, log balancing and carrying buckets filled with rocks for a looooooooong while.
Like me, millions of people around the country have become addicted to the new sport of obstacle course racing. Mainly because it is not only a physical challenge, but it is a way of life: you never know what challenges you will encounter on your road to success, but no matter what, you need to fight, crawl, push and do whatever it takes to reach your final goal. You will most likely surprise yourself and be stronger than you ever imagine. Along the way you will find people who will motivate you to keep going, who will help you to climb walls and who will encourage you push yourself even further…(you will also run across people who will tell you that you are insane) Just like in life, if you surround yourself with positive people, your chances of succeeding increase enormously!!!!!! In Fresno, those people are called The Central Valley Spartan Athletes.
The Central Valley Spartan Athletes (CVSA) group was created by Dindo Dizon and Lindsay Dozier to motivate all kinds of individuals to achieve their fitness goals and to transform their lives thru the Spartan way of life. The idea behind the group is to help everyone embrace challenges and discomfort and to continue forward despite them, with the help of your fellow Central Valley Spartan Friends. Whatever you fitness goal is: losing weight, finishing a race, meeting people to work out with or becoming stronger, The CVSA group will help you achieve them…they just ask that you bring one thing with you: Your Heart!!!!!!!!
I really love working out with this awesome group of people. Here are my top reasons:
- The group is composed of 500+ motivators. Every time you show up for a workout, you will be welcomed with open arms. No one is ever left behind and the workout is not done until everyone finishes.
- Everyone is welcome to join. No matter if you are an elite athlete, if you are young or old or if you have never participated in an obstacle race. As long as you have the heart and the desire to get better, you are welcome to join the group
- Every workout is unique: Because of the nature of Spartan Races you need to be a well rounded athlete to do well in a race (and to avoid doing burpees). The CVSA group uses local high school stadiums, hiking trails, local gyms, garages, parks, etc for their workouts so every weekend you will get to experience something different
- This is a social group as well. Besides getting together to workout, these athletes get together to volunteer, celebrate holidays, Christmas, etc.
- You will be photographed doing some cool stuff. Dindo is always taking pictures of the members during the workouts. I really like this. It is proof for my future kids that their mom was a beast at some point 😉
- Joining is FREE!!!!!!! And their workouts happen on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I love getting up early on the weekend, getting a great Spartan workout and crawling into bed afterwards with 0 guilt.
If you want more information check of The Central Valley Spartan Athlete’s Facebook page or join them at one of their weekend workouts.