Cook Local – Cucumber Tomato Salad
This week my “Cook Local” meal was inspired by our brunch this weekend at Piazza Del Pane. Have you been there for lunch? Wow, what a spread they put out!! Omelet & Taco Bar, french toast, eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, tatter tots, chicken, all kinds of dessert and wonderful salads too!
There is truly something for everyone! With the cool temperatures, Sunday was a wonderful day to sit outside on their beautiful patio and listen to the fountain. We certainly enjoyed our meal! When I came home, I decided to make their Cucumber Tomato Salad (pictured at the top on the left) and boy did it turn out delicious! Such a simple salad, but perfect with whatever you pair it with!
Cucumber, tomatoes, onions, arugula & feta cheese with a super light vinaigrette! This is easy – takes less than 15 minutes to put together, we enjoyed it last night with some great bbq’d chicken. You can pick up all of these ingredients (even the cheese depending on the Farmer’s Market you visit!) locally and enjoy a delicious fresh meal!
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 large tomatoes & a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/4 cup good olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Slice the tomatoes into wedges. Small tomatoes, simply slice in half into bite-sized chunks. Thinly slice the cucumber & red onion. Place these ingredients and the arugula in a bowl.
- Mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt & pepper well – I use a small jar, combine all of the ingredients and shake it really well – drizzle over the top of the salad. Top with crumbled feta cheese. This is a simple & fabulous summer salad. Best when served at room temperature.