Chili Mac and Cheese
Have you been getting out and seeing some of the amazing wildflowers in bloom? My hubby and I took a drive two weekends ago in the country – I’ve had this monster cold, but really needed to get out of house. I was so thankful we did! There was beauty around every corner, the hills were gorgeous with an array of colors – orange, yellow, purple, white – truly Mother Nature at her very finest! Last weekend we took another drive around the blossom trail – love getting out and enjoying the beauty of our Central Valley!
So because of that terrible cold, all I felt like cooking was comfort food these last couple of weeks and comfort food to me is Mac and Cheese. It’s kind of a big deal in my family and my Grandma made the BEST! And when I started thinking about what recipe to share this week, I decided she had the right idea and I would give Mac and Cheese my twist.
So today I’m sharing two of my favorite meals combined – Macaroni and Cheese meets Chili – big flavor – super easy. First I headed over to The Meat Market on Alluvial – they have such fresh ground beef, perfect for chili (plus they are so helpful there, love that place!). Then I combined the warm spices from chili – cumin, chili powder and paprika, mix that with the creaminess of cheese and macaroni. Boy howdy, this meal will make even the pickiest of eaters in your house clean their plate and ask for seconds!
Like I said – warm flavors, not hot and oooey, gooey, cheesy deliciousness?!!! In fact just go ahead and double the recipe, you’ll want to have leftovers!
AND it’s done in only 30 minutes? Well that is just about perfect! Serve this with a great green salad and some good crusty bread and you’ll have a happy family, that’s for sure! Share this on Facebook or pin to save the recipe! This will be your new family favorite!
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup (dried) elbow macaroni
- 1 cup cubed velveeta cheese
- In a large heavy bottom stock pot begin by heating the olive oil. When it is hot, add the chopped red onion & bell pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes until the veggies start to soften. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute. Then add the hamburger meat, breaking it up, stir until browned. Drain the fat.
- Drain the kidney beans add them to the stock pot along with the can of fire roasted tomatoes. Add all of the spices salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder and cumin. Stir well to combine. Add the beef broth and increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. When it comes to a boil add the pasta and velveeta cheese. Return to a boil and set the timer for 7 minutes. Stir constantly during the entire 7 minutes. If you don’t the cheese will clump together and stick to the bottom of the pan! Once it gets a good boil going, reduce the heat to medium. It will thicken and become creamy and cheesy.