Fresno Bull Dogs
So, since it’s now football season (YAY!) it’s time to do some tailgate. I wanted to share my favorite way to make brats and support Fresno State with some great Bull Dogs – get it Bull…. Dogs…?!!! 😀 Good brats, bathed in beer, slow cooked on the stove and finished on the grill. They are the best game day grub!
You’ll need just a few things – good brats. And I’m going to send you back out to Gibson Market to grab a couple packages because they are excellent! German Sausage, Cowboy dogs – grab your favorite. I will say I’m partial to the Cowboy flavor – they are excellent! Oh, and while you’re grab some Tailgate Red or White, again it’s all about your favorite!
Then you’ll need beer, beef stock, onion & garlic. Couple beers go into a large pot, peel the onion, cut it into wedges, mince the garlic. Add everything into the pot along with the brats.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a low simmer. Cover and simmer for about an hour. Don’t worry, this can be done at the stadium, just grab an old pot or cast iron skillet and put it right on the grill.
Then it’s time to get your grill on! Even though these brats are completely cooked, they need great grill marks and that smoky goodness you only get from grilling. (My hubby is the Master Griller!)
Top them with your choice of condiments – here we have sauerkraut, onions, tomatoes, chili and jalepenos, YUM!
- 1-2 package good German Sausage from Gibson Market
- 2 12 oz. bottles of beer
- 1 yellow onion cut into wedges
- 2 clove garlic chopped
- 1 14.5 oz can beef broth
- Condiments – 1 can sauerkraut, Chili, mustard, tomatoes, onions
- Hotdog buns
- Additional water as needed to cover the brats
- Braise the brats. Add the brats to a deep frying pan or large pot set on medium heat. To the brats add the beer, onion, beef broth, garlic and water. Bring to a boil & reduce to simmer. Occasionally turn the brats. Cook them for 30-45 minutes until they are completely cooked thru. Braising them will keep them juicy and flavorful.
- Grill the Beer Brats over an open grill making sure to get good grill marks.
- Build your brat with a hotdog bun, topped with your favorite condiments, enjoy!