Today is the summer solstice, also known as the first day of summer, a.k.a. the longest day of the year. That seems like something worth celebrating. Here are 5 ways to do that.
1. Attend a Local Event
As usual, there are a bunch of cool things happening in Fresno — all this, and on a Wednesday night.
• Respite by the River. Eat, drink, enjoy readings, and hear live music at this event held at San Joaquin River Parkways and Conservation Trust.
• FAB Fresno Karaoke Night. This drag karaoke event sounds like fun, and it happens weekly.
• Summer Solstice Drumming Workshop. Join a sacred circle in this shamanic drumming journey, implementing the wisdom of the Summer Solstice.
• Paint & Sip: “Aloha Nights.” Everything about this says “summer.”
• Pink the Night Out. What better way to kick off a new season than by joining in a good cause? This show of support for Planned Parenthood starts at 8 p.m.
• Ted Nunes at Goldstein’s Mortuary & Delicatessen. Music, beer, no cover.
2. Explore Downtown Fresno
Fulton Street has yet to open to traffic, which makes now the perfect time to wander the street, taking in the architecture and other sites. While you wander, you can also check out these nearby local businesses and locations:
3. Grab a Beer
Now here’s how to really celebrate. There are umpteen great places to find a beer in Fresno, including:
4. Plan a Getaway
It’s Wednesday, so you probably can’t go anywhere today, but you can definitely plan a trip for another day. And let’s be real: planning a trip is nearly as fun as actually taking that trip, right? Some ideas for day/weekend trips include:
• The Refuge, Carmel-by-the-Sea. If you’re looking for a unique experience, you can’t beat a dip in an ice bath.
• Monterey Bay Aquarium. It’s fun, it’s educational, it’s way cooler on the coast than in Fresno.
• Disneyland Resort. Can’t beat the original Magic Kingdom.
• Basilwood Farm. This goat farm makes and sells its own soap products. Also: goats!
• Mariposa. This charming town has a lot going on, and is worth exploring.
5. Just Like, Sleep
It’s hot and you’re tired. There will be another solstice to celebrate in December, so go ahead and wait for that one.
- Thinking of buying a Condo? We say FresYes! - September 18, 2020
- Tom Seaver, exceptional human, who led ‘Miracle Mets’ to glory, dies at 75 - September 4, 2020
- Is that good ol’ American front porch making a come back? - August 14, 2020