Looking for something to do this weekend? Here are some fun suggestions for events happening in Fresno and beyond.
• The Fresno Association of Mexican American Educators hosts a Back to School Edition of Geek Night at Bitwise South Stadium Friday at 5 p.m. Fresno State President Joseph Castro will speak, and there will be salsa lessons, karaoke, and free food and beer.
• It’s the 5th annual Seattle-to-Fresno Mini Rogue Festival featuring comedy, dance, music, storytelling and other performances. Tickets are $10 per show or $40 for an all-show pass. The festival runs Friday through Sunday at The Revue. Click here for showtimes.
• Join the Sequoia Parks Conservancy and Tioga-Sequoia Brewing Co. for the Bring on the Night event to kick off the 5th Annual Dark Sky Festival in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks. Head to Tioga-Sequoia at 6 p.m. for music with the Denali Brass Band and celestial stories from NASA Astronaut Don Thomas.
• Nights in the Plaza Paz presents the music of Califas at Arte Américas. Bring your family and some comfortable chairs and enjoy a night of Tex-Mex, conjunto, and Tejano favorites. Kids are welcome and the art galleries are open through each show’s intermission. Doors open at 7 p.m.; show starts at 8. Cost is $12 for adults, $5 for kids.
• StageWorks Fresno presents: The Last Five Years, an emotionally powerful and intimate musical about two New Yorkers in their twenties who fall in and out of love over the course of five years. See the show Friday or Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at Fresno Art Museum. Tickets start at $25.
• Joan Jett and the Blackhearts take the stage at 8 p.m. for the 2018 Madera Fair Concert Series. The show is a free first come, first serve event with paid gate admission to the fair.
• Zeppelin USA returns to The Tower Theatre at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $39.50.
• Saturday is the Annual Huntington Boulevard Mile Long Yard Sale. From 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., shop along Huntington Blvd between First and Cedar.
• Experience the San Joaquin River at its finest with a kayak tour from Lost Lake Park to Owl Hollow hosted by the San Joaquin River Parkway and Conservation Trust. Enjoy beautiful scenery and catch a glimpse of the birds and other wildlife. This tour, which begins at 8:30 a.m., is appropriate for paddlers ages 12 and up.
• Enjoy the Sanger Street Faire and Farmer’s Market starting at 5 p.m. in downtown Sanger. There will be music, food, vendors, and kids’ activities.
• AC/DC tribute band Bonfire will hit the stage at 5 p.m. at ApCal in Madera. Bring your own lawn chair and enjoy music, food, wine, cigars, and more. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the gate.
• See the GenX Summer Tour featuring Buckcherry, P.O.D., Lit and Alien Ant Farm at Full Circle Brewing Co. There will be live music, food, drinks, and more. This all-ages event starts at 5:30 p.m. Get your tickets here.
• Comedian Steve Trevino will be at the Tower Theatre at 8 p.m. Tickets start at $31.50.
• See The Only Cash Tribute, Keeney Brothers Band, and 82 Deluxe at 8:30 p.m. at Fulton 55. Tickets for this 21+ show start at $15.
• The weekly FAB Sunday T-Dance starts at 12 noon at FAB in the Tower District. Enjoy house music, drink specials, and no cover.
• It’s Sunday Funday featuring Patrick Contreras at CRU Winery in Madera. The free fun starts at 1 p.m.
• The Fresno Football Club Foxes are on the road, but you can watch them take on the Swope Park Rangers at a viewing party starting at 2 p.m. at Strummer’s.
• If you’re into that Yacht Rock life, head to Veni Vidi Vici at 5 p.m. for the Yacht Rock Radio Party. Wear your best nautical gear and enjoy the cool vibes.
• Luis Miguel takes the stage at the Save Mart Center at 8:30 p.m. Tickets start at $24.95.
What else is going on this weekend? Add your event to the comments.