This year marks the 30th anniversary of the film Coming to America, and Thursday, June 21, the Fresno Grizzlies will pay homage to the milestone with Coming to Fresno Night. Except, the “Fresno Grizzlies” will technically have the night off as the Houston Astros’ Triple-A club will play for one game as the “Zamunda Lions”—with uniforms to match.
Fans of the movie will have plenty of chances to re-live its greatness, transported back to either the fictional African country, Zamunda, or Queens, NY, where the bulk of the movie took place. Here’s what else you can expect from Coming to America Night:
- The game-worn Zamunda Lions jerseys will be available for fans to bid on in an online auction beginning the following day, with the winners receiving their on-field jersey autographed by the player. Auction proceeds will benefit United Way Fresno and Madera Counties.
- One concession stand will be transformed into “McDowell’s” for one night only, a tribute to the Queens Boulevard fast food joint owned by Lisa’s dad Cleo McDowell in Coming to America. According to the Grizzlies, “Just so there’s no confusion with another restaurant of some renown, they have the golden arches, Chukchansi Park has the golden archs. Their buns have sesame seeds, the buns in Fresno have no seeds.” Fans will be able to buy “Big Micks” made to order and fries at McDowell’s inside the ballpark throughout the game.
- Zamunda Lions and Coming To Fresno apparel and merchandise will be available in the Fresno Grizzlies Team Store during the game, including replica jerseys and the on-field New Era 59/50 cap.
- Cover band The Box will perform pre-game, post-game, and between innings as Randy Watson’s band “Sexual Chocolate.”
Game starts at 7:05 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the Chukchansi Park box office, or anytime at FresnoGrizzlies.com, starting as low as $10.
Additional Grizzlies promotions this weekend
Also happening this weekend at Chukchansi Park:
- The Princess Ball will take place Friday, June 22. In the Cantina on the third base/left field side of the stadium, eight of your favorite movie princesses will be available for photo ops. The event will include a special light-up dance floor and princess sing-alongs. Tickets to the game will be FREE for kids 12 and under in princess or make-believe costumes (receive tickets at the box office). Postgame fireworks will follow the action on the field. Game starts at 7:05 p.m.
- On Saturday, the Fresno Grizzlies will pay homage to the 2008 “Wonder Dogs” with a double-header. Two seven-inning games will have a roughly 30-minute break in-between. In game two, the Grizzlies will wear tribute jerseys and caps to the 2008 NCAA Division I Baseball National Champions, the “underdogs to “Wonder Dogs” Fresno State Bulldogs, as they celebrate the 10-year anniversary of their win in the College World Series. In-between games, members of the 2008 Fresno State national title team will be honored on the field. Wonder Dogs apparel, including replica jerseys and the on-field New Era 59/50 cap will also be available in the Fresno Grizzlies Team Store during the game. The celebration of Fresno State Athletics will include former Bulldogs football player and current Detroit Lions offensive lineman Kenny Wiggins signing autographs during the game. Game starts at 5:05 p.m.