Sheltering in place and being quarantined in addition to the need for healthy stress relief outlets has led to a boom in interest in houseplants and gardening. Social media feeds are filled with images of potted fiddle leaf fig trees, rubber plants, succulents, and vining plants like golden pothos and string of hearts.
If you are one of the many who has become recently plant-obsessed (or maybe you always have been) we have a great round-up for you of awesome places to score the next plant for your garden or indoor collection, and where to find plant specialties, too!
Location: 210 W. Alluvial in Clovis
Hours: Mon-Sat 9-5, Sundays 9-4
- Widest selection of plants in the area
- They carry indoor plants including hard-to-find varieties and a huge selection of succulents
- Known for thriving, healthy plants and a great selection of pots, too.
Location: 3204 N. Van Ness in Fresno
Hours: Mon-Wed 8:30a-5:30p, Thurs-Sat 8:30a-9p, Sundays 10a-4p
- Stunning selection of outdoor plants and beautiful grounds to explore
- Indoor café available daily featuring a selection of house plants
- Live music, beer garden and food trucks every weekend
Location: 2408 N. Armstrong in Fresno
Hours: Mon-Sat 7a-5p, Sundays 10a-4p
- Known for affordable pricing and excellent customer service
- Primarily focuses on outdoor plants but is currently expanding its selection of indoor plants and pots
- Knowledgeable staff with backgrounds in Horticultural Science can offer expert advice
Location: 2271 N. Grantland Ave. in Fresno
Hours: Mon-Sat 7:30a-4p, Sundays 10a-4p
- Known for excellent pricing and customer service
- Focuses on everything for your garden, including cute and quirky yard art, pond plants and even carries koi and koi accessories
- Features a chicken coup from which you can purchase fresh eggs
Location: 7730 E. Belmont Ave in Fresno
Hours: Mon-Sat 8:30a-5p, Sundays 10a-4p
- Wide selection of outdoor plants, shrubs, and trees
- Propagates their own plants to ensure proper acclimation to Valley conditions
- Owner is a certified arborist and staff offer expert advice and support
Location: 453 Pollasky Ave. Ste 102 in Old Town Clovis
Hours: (COVID hours) Sat & Sun 11a-2p, contactless local delivery on Wednesdays and Thursdays, online ordering available
- Beautiful selection of houseplants and pots
- Plants can be purchased potted into decorative pots
- Classes and advice offered by the owner
Location: 3236 W. Ashlan in Fresno
Hours: Tues-Sat, 10a-4p
- The owner, Grey, has over 40 years of Bonsai experience and is a known expert is his field
- Shoppers speak of incredible customer service, support, and atmosphere
- California’s largest Bonsai nursery featuring Bonsai trees at all stages as well as accessories, books, and Japanese gifts
The following spots are not locally owned, however, as a plant lover myself, I have had good luck finding specific plant related items at each.
- Trader Joe’s: Awesome, incredibly affordable houseplants, often in nice pots are available typically before 12pm each day (they do sell out). You never know what the selection will be, but I’ve been able to purchase several rare plants that have been on my list from Trader Joe’s, and they’re all doing great!
- TJ Maxx, Home Goods, Ross & Grocery Outlet: Each of these stores carries nice plant pots from time to time at very affordable prices. The selection varies greatly, and with plant popularity these days, they may be sold out – but if you do find pots there, they are usually at a steal of a price compared to elsewhere.
- Have plants and want more or other plants? Join this local Plant Swap group on Facebook! It is just getting going, but I’ve already made a successful, contactless porch-trade with another member, and it was a great experience!