Sometimes it’s hard to keep up on all the local foodie news, so here’s a taste of what’s been happening in the last few weeks.
Our mood in food 2015: Tracking the arc of a trend
This is an interesting take on where we’ve been as a society and where we’re headed. Here are some of the featured trends:
National Restaurant Association Food Trends 2015
1. Locally sourced meats and seafood
2. Locally grown produce
3. Environmental sustainability
4. Healthful kids meals
5. Natural ingredients/minimally processed
6. New cuts of meat
7. Hyperlocal sourcing
8. Sustainable seafood
9. Food waste reduction/management
10. Farm/estate branded items
What’s Hot At The Bar For 2015
1. Micro-distilled/artisan spirits
2. Locally produced beer/wine/spirits
3. Onsite barrel-aged drinks
4. Regional signature cocktails
5. Culinary cocktails (i.e., savory, fresh ingredients)
Fig Garden Village’s Samba Global Cuisine to close Saturday
Another one bites the dust.
Eating Out: From froyo to pizza, changes at Fresno restaurants abound
- Dutch Bros. Coffee expands in Fresno
- Guri’s GrubHouse revamps menu
- Frozen Yogurt Castle opens in southeast Fresno
- Blast 825 Pizza opens Fresno location
- Papa John’s adding more Fresno pizza spots
- Clovis Denny’s remodels, offers special
Here’s what’s up with Pinot Wine Bar
Owner Juan Leija is creating a live music venue with a full kitchen and bar, open seven nights a week. The new spot will feature a variety of musical styles—blues, jazz, funk, open jam sessions and more. Cheers to dining, drinking and dancing all year long!
Corner Bakery Cafe coming to Fresno
This is planned for 2016, to be located in the planned Park Crossing retail development near Woodward Park in north Fresno. Apparently that spot is supposed to be booming by then. Corner Bakery was a fave of mine in college when I lived in the OC. I love their chicken pesto sandwiches and cream cheese brownies.