Were you the kid who was always up for a game of hide and seek? What about scavenger hunts or geocaching—are you a fan? If so, I’ve got a game for you and it’s taking place right now, right here in Fresno. Yup! Right now. And now… and now.
Fresno Rocks is a recently formed Facebook group in which members paint rocks with designs of their choice on the top, then hide them for other players to find. The group is modeled after similar groups, such as one in Clovis that’s a bit more established.
“Find us on Facebook: Fresno Rocks” it reads on the back of each of these rocks, sealed so the paint will last. When rocks are hidden, group members take a photo that provides some clue as to where the rock(s) can be found, and posts it in the Facebook group. Players who find rocks post updates when they do, and either keep the rocks or re-hide them, later posting their own photo clues.
When I first heard of the Fresno group, this past weekend, there were just 28 members. Days later, the group had grown to over 500, and it’s continuing to grow. Members are posting pictures of big groups of rocks they’re painting and preparing to hide, and excitement for the game is contagious.
I found my first rock two mornings ago, while making a quick stop at the ATM, and brought it with me on my way to work, re-hiding it in downtown Fresno.
Here are the reasons I think this idea is so cool:
- It’s free to search for hidden rocks, and there’s very little cost involved in painting your own rocks to hide.
- Many people are painting inspirational or funny messages on their rocks, which will brighten the day of people when they come across them, whether they are playing the game or completely unaware.
- Painting rocks with family, friends, or even solo is a fun, creative activity and a good way for kids to spend time, screen-free.
- It gets people to explore different parts of Fresno, and outside of their usual action space.
- It creates a common activity that can be enjoyed by people of all ages, backgrounds, income levels etc.—anyone can play!
Want in on the fun? All you have to do is log on to Facebook, and request to join the group! Happy hunting!
Latest posts by Natali Carrera (see all)
- Happy House Opens Offering Curated Artisan and Vintage Goods, Just in Time for the Holidays - November 13, 2019
- Muses Appreciation Day November 7th Offers the Gift of Relaxation - November 6, 2019
- Fresh Bread and Flowers: Delivering Comforting Carbs and Stunning Blooms to Your Door - October 24, 2019