The problem with loving designer things and also wanting to shop local is that those two desires are often at odds with each other. There simply aren’t a lot of locally-owned stores that carry big-name clothing and accessories.
One of my latest obsessions is Kate Spade stationery and housewares. The colorful and whimsical designs make perfect gifts and desktop accessories. I’ve bought a lot of Kate Spade stuff in the past few months, mostly online or occasionally at national chains like TJMaxx and Macy’s.
So I literally squealed in delight (seriously) when I walked into Top Drawer at Fig Garden Village recently, because one of the first things I saw was a big section of Kate Spade items.
Top Drawer was another one of those stores I happened to find as I was headed somewhere else on a Saturday. It’s tucked back a little ways from the parking lot, near La Boulangerie. The owner, Jane, said they’ve actually been in the location for about three years. (By the way, Jane is, like, the nicest lady ever.)
Top Drawer sells adorable stationery, cards, accessories and gifts for all ages. They have the full Kate Spade line and, according to Jane, are the only store that sells the full line of Vera Bradley purses and accessories in the Central Valley. They also have an area dedicated to gifts for children, and even a bakery counter with gourmet goodies from all over the country!
Basically, it’s the perfect place to buy a present for the women in your life (or yourself – mostly, myself). I tried to have self control, so I only walked away with two items: a Kate Spade sticky note set for a friend (because I already have one, haha) and Lilly Pullitzer notecards. But I felt like I could have kept shopping and browsing for a long time. As I told Jane, “We are going to become friends!”
I walked away from Top Drawer super delighted with the whole experience. Not only did I finally find a new place that I completely fell in love with, but I no longer have to feel guilty about buying all my Kate Spade stuff online … and bonus: no more shipping fees!
So your lesson of the week is this: If you walk by a store you’ve never noticed before, always, always go in! You never know what you might discover!
I’ve decided to start a new, hopefully regular section at the end of the blog called “This Week In…” This will be where you can find tidbits of news that I think may be interesting to FresYes readers. Generally it will be about shopping. Sometimes baseball, haha.
This Week In Fashion
- MadeForThem is holding its second annual Fight With Fashion event at Porsche of Fresno. The local organization, which uses its profits to fight human trafficking, is debuting its spring collection. Tickets are $65 each and can be purchased here.
This Week in Baseball
- If you’re missing the best sport in America as much as I am, go out to Beiden Field to support the Bulldogs as they open up their season! The first series is February 13-15 against UC Irvine. Tickets can be purchased here.
- Fresno Grizzlies Unveil New Valley-Centric Uniforms and Logos - January 31, 2019
- Date with your Pup? Fresyes, Please! - December 10, 2018
- AR Workshop takes wine and painting to the next level - October 10, 2018