With the recent renewal of Measure Z, buzz of the new African expansion and remodeling of many favorite exhibits to what are now award-winning habitats, you’ve likely heard the Chaffee Zoo is a very exciting place these days, however I’m not sure many of us fully grasp just how amazing the upcoming additions to the Zoo truly are.
This video, recently shared on the Zoo’s Facebook page blew. me. away. WOW! Go ahead, stop what you’re doing right now and watch. I’ll wait.
Seriously, is that not amazing?
For those of us who grew up in the Central Valley, fond memories of the Zoo’s rhinos exist in our minds and old photo albums so the reintroduction of rhinos will definitely be exciting to see. I’m also especially looking forward to the meerkats and cheetah arrivals, which will be new for our zoo. The outdoor fireplace/patio area looks like it will be very inviting, and a nice place to relax for lunch on a winter Zoo visit.
So, if you’re like me and chomping at the bit for African Adventure to open, don’t fret – there’s still plenty to enjoy until the ribbon cutting late this fall…
- Close Encounters (of the Wild Kind)
- This newly created program allows zoo guests to get up close and personal with 4 animals on a rotating, weekly basis. Encounters are offered on Sundays at 1:15pm and tickets must be purchased at the ticket window, in-person. A limited number of tickets will be sold each week to ensure a special, small group experience. The cost is $20 for non-members and $15 for members.
- Upcoming encounter schedule:
Jan 18: Sea Lion: meet a sea lion!
Jan 25: Tropical Rainforest: feed the Rainforest birds!
Feb 1: Elephant: feed the elephants!
Feb 8: – none –
Feb 15: Sea Lion: meet a sea lion!
Feb 22: Kangaroo
Mar 1: Sea Lion
Mar 8: Tropical Rainforest
Mar 15: Elephant
- Frogs and Fairytales (March 17th)
- A fun event children who like fairy tale stories – dress as a fairy tale character and learn about frogs, create crafts, hear stories and eat tasty snacks.
- Breakfast with the Animals (April 11th)
- Enjoy a pancake breakfast at the Zoo and watch the animals experience fun, Spring-themed enrichment activities and treats. Special animal presentations and the Winged Wonders Bird Show are including in the fun.
- Producers Dairy Ice Cream Zoofari (August 8th)
- Enjoy all-you-can eat frozen yogurt, ice cream sundaes and smoothies and meet your favorite mascots as your wander the Zoo after hours.
- Safari Night (September 25th)
- This evening, adult event offers hors d’oeuvres and entrees from many of the Valley’s best restaurants offered at various stations around the Zoo as well as a dessert bar, casino-style games and auction. Live music and dancing wraps up this fantastic fundraising event.