Latest posts by Natali Carrera (see all)
- Don’t miss these craft beer events coming up in March - February 21, 2018
- BooBoo Bean Bakery and Café brings tasty pastries and more to northwest Fresno - February 14, 2018
- Here are 6 fun and unique ways to celebrate Valentine’s weekend in Fresno - February 7, 2018
How much time do you have to dedicate to creating and layering items from your wardrobe to make outfits that you love? If you’re anything like me, it’s about 3-4 minutes as you tear through your closet trying to get out the door on time! Perhaps you’re better at mornings than I am or even plan your outfit the night before but have a hard time getting your brain past a formulaic daily outfit plan: Workdays – dress pant, blouse, necklace, heels … go. Weekend – tee, jeans, flip flips … go. If you’re in either camp, or simply just wished you could elevate your own sense of personal style, may I please introduce you to my addiction? Meet Stitch Fix.
Stitch Fix is a service that provides a personal stylist who chooses a customized collection of 5 articles of clothing (or accessories) that are selected especially for your taste, lifestyle, body type and budget. Your stylist carefully reviews your preferences, chooses your items then ships them right to your door. You then have 3 days to try on (or if you’re like me, try on, take photos then text them to all of your closest friends asking for their opinions, lol) the items and decide which ones you want to keep. Once you’ve decided, you place any unwanted items in an enclosed, prepaid envelope and just place them in your mailbox for pick up. You then login to your Stitch Fix account online and provide feedback for your stylist on each item and pay for the items you decided to keep. The cost to order your first box (which they call a “fix”) is $20, but that $20 goes towards any article of clothing that you decide to keep from your fix, so as long as you keep something, the styling service and shipping is free.
I’ve been using Stitch Fix as my primary source of clothing since October 2013. Here are some of the reasons I find it to be so great:
- My stylist sends me things I would never think to try on if I’d seen it in a store, but when it’s at my home, I may as well try it on. 90% of the time I’m shocked to discover I love styles I normally wouldn’t give a second glance to. Stitch Fix has broken me out of my style rut.
- I don’t have a model’s body by any means, but my stylist finds things that flatter my figure.
- I have the power to control the budget for each clothing type – I can say “as cheap as possible” for accessories or “Up to X dollars for outerwear and jeans” (items I’m ok with investing a bit more in).
- If you have a special event coming and need a dress or simply don’t want more of a certain item you can provide your stylist with a customized note before each fix. (e.g. “I have a formal dinner and need a great black dress, can you send me a few options?” “I have plenty of jeans right now, can you focus on summer tops?”)
- As much as I love Target, I know there is a strong chance anything I buy to wear there will be worn by many other friends, possibly on the same day. Not really a big deal to me, but it’s nice to receive unique items I’ve never found shopping for myself.
- With each fix, the match to my preferences just got better and better. Now, I love almost every item I receive and the sizing is phenomenal. I find the items in my fix to often fit better than things I would try on in stores. (You’d think I would know my own fit, but my stylist seems to get it better!)
- Also included with each fix are these great styling cards and a personal note that your stylist provides to give you ideas on how to put items together with other clothing. I don’t have that “Pinterest quality fashion eye” but with these cards, I don’t have to! My stylist remembers past items I’ve kept and recommends pairing them with new items I received when appropriate.
- Stitch Fix offers an awesome referral perk: for every person that signs up and orders their first fix by going to the site with your personal referral link, you receive $25 credit towards your next fix! Thanks to this, I was able to receive many articles of clothing that I loved, FREE! (You can do this too!)
A few of my favorite items received (aka: awkward selfies to show clothing/accessories)
Are you thinking about scheduling a Fix for yourself? (You totally should, by the way!) Here are a few more bits of information you may want to know:
- Fixes can be received as a one time order, a monthly subscription, or even every 2-3 weeks. You have complete control over those options. There is no commitment required.
- When you create your account, you’ll complete a personal style profile that is pretty detailed and helps guide your stylist. Sometimes, the demand for Fixes can be high, so your first fix may not be able to be scheduled for a couple weeks out. For this reason, I recommend setting up your account and scheduling your first Fix in advance, even if you don’t have the money just yet, as you may have to wait. The date you schedule your first Fix for (available dates show as clickable on a calendar) is when you’ll have the items in hand by. The $20 fee comes out about 1 week before when your fix is being put together. Schedule early – especially if you have an event coming up that requires a special outfit for.
- Stitch Fix currently offers a size range of 0-14 + maternity. There are rumors that the company may provide plus size, children’s and/or men’s clothing in the future, but those are not currently available options.
- You can give Stitch Fix gift cards as a gift! (Husbands/boyfriends/dads – this is a great gift!)
If you’d previously heard of Stitch Fix before, but wanted more information, I hope this article was helpful to you. If this is brand new information to you – I hope you found it useful as well! If you’re ready to get your own Fix, and decided to do so because of this article, I would be so grateful if you’d use my personal link and then once you’re signed up, you’ll get a link to share with your friends as well! 🙂
(Disclaimer: My link is an affiliate link and utilizing it to sign up for Stitch Fix will provide me with a discount clothing from Stitch Fix. However, Stitch Fix did not ask me to write this service review or share any specific opinions. All opinions are my own and a direct result of using the service regularly and loving it!)