Ok Fresno, stop what you’re doing, pause the multi-tasking for a moment, and check out our newest, local business celebrating their grand opening this weekend – Breakout Fresno! Breakout Fresno is an AWESOME, new entertainment option in which you, along with your family, friends or coworkers enter into a room with one goal in mind: to solve the problem at hand in order to successfully “escape”!
I had the honor of taking a group of friends through a Breakout Fresno experience this past weekend and I can honestly say this is one of THE most fun things I’ve ever done. We came SO close to breaking out, but even though we didn’t, we still had SUCH a great time! We’ve been messaging each other since, exclaiming, “That was SO cool!” and “I want to do it again!”
(FYI: I have included a few images from our visit, however we were VERY careful not to show any spoilers, and if you go, PLEASE maintain the integrity of the game by not sharing solutions/spoilers with others or online.)
Here’s how it works:
- You arrive in a group of at least two, but up to six (the more people in your crew, the better, as you’ll have more brains to access and be able to come at a problem from multiple viewpoints)
- Your game master reviews the rules with you and lets you know how your experience will begin and how you proceed through it
- You’ll be shown into a room and a narrator will introduce you to the scenario you have just walked into
- Your objective will be to work together, with your team over the course of one hour, to use your surroundings, clues that come up on a video monitor and good old fashioned critical thinking in order to successfully “escape” out the other side of the room, through a locked door
Questions you’re probably going to ask:
- “I saw something similar on the Bachelorette, it was a scary room! Is this scary?”
- This is not scary at all. It is simply a timed, story-based situation you will need to think through to solve. Though it is exciting, it is not scary.
- “I’m claustrophobic! I can’t be locked in a room!”
- You can exit the door you entered at any time, if for some reason you needed to, but the room is just a normal, good-sized room, this isn’t anything you need to worry about.
- “What are the problems/stories/rooms about?”
- Currently, there are two scenarios available and up to 3 groups can go into rooms at a time. For details on the two scenarios, “Sabbotage” and “Wanted” check out the room descriptions here.
- “What if I don’t have 6 people in my group?”
- You can still play, but you may be asked to join another group with fewer than 6 people, or you may not be as successful as you would with more people to help you problem solve.
- “What does it cost?”
- $28/person for 2-3 people, $26/person for 4 people, $24/more than 4 people. A 20% discount will be available if you sign up for email updates and make a reservation during their opening month, even if the reservation is for a future date.
- “Can kids go?”
- Technically, kids 12 and older can attend with a parent, or older teens can participate. Children younger than 12 are not allowed, mainly because the problems are just too complex and not something a young child could solve/fully understand, not because of anything inappropriate. Really, this is geared toward grownups and it’s worth planning for a sitter, I promise.
Intrigued yet? You should be! If you love suspense, puzzles, riddles, solving problems and working together with others – you will love the thrilling rush offered by Breakout Fresno.
Owners, Brian and Sarah Clem, are excited to be introducing the “escape room” style business to Fresno, after experiencing something similar and falling in love with it on a recent trip to Philadelphia. “We get excited when each new group goes into a room! It’s fun for us, too!” says Sarah.
To book your visit, or find out additional information about the Breakout Fresno experience, visit their website, like their Facebook page and sign up for their email updates (scroll to the bottom of the home page).
With a strong showing of interest and engagement from the community, the Clems look forward to expanding story options and offering additional scenarios in the near future, so come out and show them how much we love this innovative new idea!