Hold on to your meatballs and loosen your waistbands because Fresno is heating up this weekend, both in temperature and tantalizing activities! As the sun turns up the thermostat and brings forth a wave of warmth, our fair city is bustling with excitement. This might be the perfect opportunity to try a new Patio Dining place, right?
Or maybe it’s a good day to sit back out by the pool, turn up Spotify and get some good ABBA going on your Symfonisk Speakers (will we ever get an Ikea?). No pool? We can help! What would you like to see? All the homes with pools in Clovis, all the homes in Fresno with a pool?
Meatballs, ABBA, Ikea… you probably guessed it with all the Swedish stuff in the opening paragraph. Ja, it’s the Kingsburg Swedish Festival this Friday and Saturday and we’re here to push you just a little out of your comfort zone. Besides, you look good in clogs! Did you know Spotify was started in Sweden? You knew Volvo was of course, but what about H&M?
The Kingsburg Swedish Festival
- Swedish Dinner at Coffee Pot Park. You don’t have to dive in to the Pickled Herring if you don’t want to, (you should at least give it a try) but you can bet on Meatballs with the traditional potatoes and lingonberry. Peas soup and pancakes, Räkmacka, Smulpaj, Semla, and maybe even Swedish Cheesecake could be on the menu.
- Flower & Garden Show at the Village Mall. Did you know it’s traditional to pick 7 different wildflowers and sleep with them under you pillow. It’s said to bring dreams of your one true love!
- Swedish Pancake Breakfast at Coffee Pot Park. How could you start your day off without this? Just walk up and say, “Jag skulle vilja ha en tallrik med svenska pannkakor, tack“.
- The Dala Horse Trot. You know what a Dala Horse is. Those painted wooden statues of horses originated in the Swedish province of Dalarna. We’re guessing the 10,k (or 2 mile) run is not for actual Dalas, but it’ll be ok if you dress up as one when you run.
- Swedish Festival Grand Parade. This starts at 10:30 am in Downtown. After the parade there will be a raising of the Maypole and a bunch of dancing! Not sure about the dancing?
- Learn Swedish Dancing at the downtown Park Stage 7:30 to 10 PM but don’t take too long because next up is…
- ABBA sing-a-long at Memorial Park! Be honest, you don’t need to practice up on your Mamma Mia, Dancing Queen or Take a Chance. If you are shy, don’t worry. This isn’t Karaoke, you’ll be singing with hundreds of others!
1076 Maine Avenue, Clovis, CA
5 Bed / 3 Bath / 3,033 Sq Ft.
Open Saturday and Sunday
1 – 4 PM
Your Haiku for the Day:
Midsummer’s bright dance,
Floral crowns, maypole spinning,
Swedish hearts rejoice.
- FresYes Interview: Dads Cookies - June 6, 2023
- The FresYes Totally Adoptable Pet of the Week! - June 6, 2023
- How to tell if your corn is low in K or N - June 5, 2023
Leave a Reply