Brace yourself, Fresno! The mercury is set to soar, with temperatures expected to reach a sweltering 114 degrees this weekend. Don’t panic though, because we’ve got you covered with practical strategies to help you beat the heat, save energy, and maintain your sanity during this scorching heat wave. So, let’s dive in and explore some immediate actions you can take to keep your home cool and comfortable when time is of the essence.
Give Your AC Some TLC
- During the evening before the heat wave strikes, take a few moments to hose down your air conditioning unit. Make sure the unit is switched off, then use a garden hose to spray down dust, debris, and pollen starting at the top and working toward the bottom. A clean unit is more effective and efficient, ensuring optimal performance when you need it most. Remember, do this when the AC is switched off to avoid any electrical hazards.
- Ensure your ac filters are clean and new. Clogged filters will really slow down your system’s ability to cool your home. If you haven’t changed them within the last 30-60 days, now’s the time.
- If there are rooms in your home you don’t use much (i.e. a guest room, or your home office on the weekend) close the vents in those spaces to force cool air into the rooms you’ll be frequenting.
Curtains: Your Heatwave Allies
When you wake up in the morning, make it a priority to close all curtains, blinds, or shades. This simple step will shield your home from the sun’s scorching rays, keeping it cooler throughout the day. It’s a small action with big rewards in terms of temperature control, and though a lack of sunlight can be a bit of a bummer, the cool factor is a worthwhile reward on the hottest days.
DIY Cooling Solutions
Sometimes, despite our best efforts, the air conditioning may give out unexpectedly. In such cases, don’t lose your cool. Try these temporary/DIY cooling options:
- Position a shallow bowl filled with ice cubes in front of a fan. The air blowing over the ice will create a refreshing breeze, offering temporary relief.
- Dampen a towel or small cloth with cold water and place it on your forehead or the back of your neck. This quick and easy technique helps cool your body down.
- Place your feet in a tub or bucket filled with cool or ice water. Cool feet can help make the entire body feel cool.
Embrace Hydration and Chill Out
Staying hydrated is crucial during a heat wave. Keep a water bottle within arm’s reach and sip regularly to replenish lost fluids. To beat the heat from the inside out, treat yourself to icy beverages, frozen grapes, popsicles, or chilled fruits like watermelon. Try a new salad recipe for dinner. It’s a delicious way to cool down and stay refreshed.
Nighttime Cooling Hacks
As the temperature drops slightly during the night, seize the opportunity to cool down your home naturally:
- Window Ventilation: Open windows strategically to allow a cross breeze to flow through your living spaces. Position a fan near an open window to pull in the cooler air and create circulation. (Make sure the outside temperature is cooler than your inside temperature before going this route, or you’ll get the opposite effect – warming your house!)
- Bedding Bliss: Opt for lightweight, breathable bedding materials like cotton or bamboo. Microfiber sheets are popular for their softness, but they do not breathe the way cotton, percale or bamboo do. Natural fabrics wick away moisture and promote better airflow, ensuring a more comfortable night’s sleep when it’s toasty.
Now you’re armed with practical tips to conquer the imminent heat wave while keeping your cool. As a reminder, if needed, Fresno has a number of cooling centers that will be available if needed, and we also have our complete listing of public pools, splash parks and water parks here on the blog for you, too. Now, go forth, beat the heat, and keep your cool during this intense period. You’ve got this!
Map of Fresno Cooling Centers:
- Discover the Magic of Winter Wonderland in Hanford: A Perfect Holiday Mini Trip - December 6, 2023
- A Scoop of Nostalgia: Discovering Gelateria del Centro in Downtown Fresno - November 27, 2023
- Fall into Joy: 5 Ways to Discover Seasonal Glimmers in Fresno/Clovis - November 16, 2023