The Grove Cafe
Everyone says there’s no such thing as a free lunch, but, there is in fact a $3.59 wood-fired custom pizza and quite frankly, these days – that’s pretty darn close!
Recently, I’d seen local news highlighting an unusual source for fast, tasty and extremely affordable food but hadn’t paid much attention, as its not somewhere near my “action space” (I learned this term in a college geography class, and it means “the places a person typically goes within their usual routine, such as work, grocery store, children’s school, doctor’s office, etc”) in fact, it’s on the complete opposite side of Fresno/Clovis for me, but recently, when my great grandmother suffered an injury and found herself having surgery at Clovis Community Hospital, I found myself visiting her and the recently locally-famous Grove Café (aka hospital cafeteria).
Yes, you read that right – if you haven’t seen it in the news, the cafeteria within Clovis Community Hospital is getting quite a bit of attention for it’s fresh, tasty, varied and affordable eats. In fact, large numbers of people outside of patients, visitors and employees have been coming to “The Grove” just to eat.
The Grove, located on the first floor of the hospital in the northeast corner of the building, is comprised of multiple counters, each offering a different type of fare.
- The Market: Offers fresh, flavorful and healthy entrees like a Thai BBQ Chicken Breast or Chipotle Turkey Meatloaf (both under $3) with side options of Parsley Red Potatoes, Steamed White Rice, Asian Stir-Fried Vegetables or Broccoli and Bell Peppers for just .89 each.
- Sliced Artisan Deli: Provides customers with tasty wraps and sandwiches like an Asada Steak Wrap, Muffaletta Sandwich, The Grove Bahn Mi or a vegetarian Portabella Mushroom Wrap. All whole sandwiches (which are substantial in size) are just $3.99, and halves are $2.99.
- The Hearth: Has the amazing wood-fired pizzas, on which you get to choose four toppings of your liking and enjoy for only $3.59.
- The Grillery: With more traditional selections, The Grillery has breakfast items like eggs, biscuits and gravy, French toast and pancakes, all for under $2. (An egg is just .39!) Lunch items include BLTs, grilled chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, cheese quesadillas, chicken tenders and burgers with nothing over $3.89.
- A fresh and cool salad bar and a tempting and toasty soup buffet are also available, as well as a grab-and-go refrigerator case, stocked with pre-made salads and sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, string cheese and other mostly healthy, easy to eat choices.
Set up “amusement park style” (I’m sure there’s a technical name for this, but this is what I always think of) you can simply grab a tray and ask the staff to whip up whatever sounds good to you from any of the counters in The Grove, then pay at one central register bank. You can choose to dine in, and eat in the clean, brightly lit and calming café, or have your food packaged to go. If you work in the area, I’d imagine this is a fantastic lunch to-go option, especially if you’d like some healthy choices without having to spend a fortune.
Whether curiosity gets the best of you, and you decide to check out The Grove because of its rapidly growing reputation for tasty, cheap eats or, you find yourself in or visiting a loved one at the hospital, I’m certain you will at least eat well and find respite in The Grove Café. Being in a hospital can be so tough, it’s nice to have the comforts of good food in a pleasant place a few steps away.
- Discover the Magic of Winter Wonderland in Hanford: A Perfect Holiday Mini Trip - December 6, 2023
- A Scoop of Nostalgia: Discovering Gelateria del Centro in Downtown Fresno - November 27, 2023
- Fall into Joy: 5 Ways to Discover Seasonal Glimmers in Fresno/Clovis - November 16, 2023