Mother’s Day is coming up, and if you haven’t started planning already, it’s definitely time to start thinking about how you can make this day special for your significant other if she’s a mom. Here are 10 ways to show her your love and appreciation this Mother’s Day weekend, with some help from local businesses:
- Take care of dinner by ordering takeout from Heirloom, and take the kids with you to pick it up at the takeout window so she can enjoy a peaceful home while you’re gone. Make sure to order earlier in the day and set the pickup time for the time you need, since it’s sure to be busy.
- Book her a massage at the super relaxing Simply Soothing Spa. They have two locations, one in Fresno on Palm & Nees, and another in Clovis, and offer a wide-variety of options for different types of massages and special added services like aromatherapy, hot-stone massage, and cupping.
- Take the kids on a walk or park trip first thing in the morning so she can sleep in, then come back with her favorite fancy coffee drink and pastries from La Boulangerie French Bakery.
- Visit the Downtown Society and ask owner Kelly to help you custom select an assortment of gifts based on her interests from local makers and Let It Grow’s beautiful houseplant selection.
- Get her flowers that will last for years to come – visit Flora Flower Co’s boutique and purchase a ready made (or build your own) lovely, dried floral and greenery bouquet in colors that will match your home décor. (Bonus points: Grab a vase and/or soy candle while you’re there, too!)
- If she’s close with her own mom, handle the kid duties for the day, and send them both out to lunch and pedicures, your treat. Book their pedicure appointments in advance so they get to sit together during their treatment. Not sure where to book? Try In Style Nails Spa on Palm & Herndon or Emerald Nails on Shepherd and Perrin.
- Help the kids create handmade gifts and write heartfelt cards to her in their own words, and present them along with a bouquet of flowers (hand-picked by the kids is fine! It’s the effort that matters here). If possible, include a photo of each child (so it can be a keepsake with the card, with a photo of the child at that age).
- If your budget allows, take her for a meal, then a surprise shopping trip to her favorite clothing or accessories store. Let her choose something from you, and let her know you hope she remembers how much you appreciate her when she wears it/uses it. Whatever you do – don’t rush her while she shops or tries things on. Let her enjoy the moment.
- Ask her for a honey-do list in advance, and take care of some of the projects she’s been wanting to get done around the house. Take care of all the cleaning and cooking for the day (or get takeout), and insist she relax – read a favorite book, spend time with friends, nap, watch a movie – whatever – just insist she actually take a day off.
- Help her guard her time – if extended family are asking her to host or attend larger Mother’s Day gatherings, make sure she actually wants to go, or if that’s not her first choice of how to spend time on Mother’s Day, politely stick up for her by protecting some time for just her, and for her to do what she truly wants – so often moms will give up their special time to ensure their own moms and mother-in-law’s needs are met, but moms currently in the trenches of mothering young children want their downtime too. Help them do that, without ruffling feathers, and you’ll make her day.
To make this Mother’s Day weekend truly special for your spouse, it’s important to express your love and appreciation in a way that’s meaningful to her. The key is to take the time to think about her interests and needs, and to plan something that she will truly enjoy. Whether it’s a grand gesture or a small one — it’s the effort and thought you put into it that counts. Remember, the most important thing is to make her feel valued and appreciated, and to give her the opportunity to relax and enjoy her special day.
BONUS TIP FROM THE EDITOR: Gather the kids, have them draw a picture of the Family in front of your home, send it to us HERE, and we’ll feature them all on Sunday Morning! Plus you also just entered Mom to win a fabulous gift basket in our giveaway! Good luck!
- Buttery Buns: A Hidden Gem Restaurant in an Unexpected Fresno Location - June 1, 2023
- Malee’s Kitchen: Exploring Hmong Cuisine and Culture - May 25, 2023
- Introducing Clovis’ Newest Brunch Haven: The Brunch Bar! - May 18, 2023
Leave a Reply