Downtown Fresno continues to welcome new businesses and offer new places to eat, enjoy a drink, or grab a tasty cup of coffee. Last week, my family and I tried Las Mañanitas in Bitwise’s new Downtown food court (if you missed that story, check it out here!) This week, we visited South of Shaw Beer Company for a fun and laid back midday date, which happened to just celebrate their first anniversary! Congratulations South of Shaw Beer Co Team!
South of Shaw Beer is located in the Peerless Building on the corner of Broadway & Amador. It’s has the corner space in the historic brick building, and it also features big windows that let in lots of light. The interior is open and airy with a bar in the center and tables surrounding it on three sides. You can seat yourself as you enter, and ordering is done at the bar register.
The food menu includes tasty Neapolitan style pizza made with house made dough that cold rises for 24 hours and is hand-stretched daily before being topped with quality cheeses and fresh veggies. Their most talked about pizza is the unique and tangy Pickle Pizza which is made with white sauce, fresh mozzarella, cheddar and of course, lots of dill pickle chips.
When we went, I tried the Bacon and Jalapeño pizza that features a creamy garlic sauce, pepper jack, spicy jalapeños, a crisped bacon and my husband ordered the Pickle Pizza.
We also tried a Pub Pretzel that was served with hot beer cheese sauce and the best grainy mustard we’ve ever had. All in all, the menu features 11 pizzas (including a vegan option!) and three appetizers – the pretzel, plus Cheesy Garlic Focaccia and a Caprese Salad.
Their beer menu features ten house beers including:
- God Save the King – A traditional English Bitter. “Malty, smooth, with a creamy head.” They installed an English hand pump just for this beer! A unique experience and super easy to drink at 3.7%.”
- Flying Chancla – Their “flagship Mexican cerveza! Perfect with a lime, or as a michelada. 5.1%”
- Blondes Have More Fun – A Belgian style ale that is “complex, a little sweet, a little spicy, and at 8.7% it doesn’t mess around.”
For those who prefer other types of drinks, when we went the menu featured guest beers that included two fruit-based ciders. I loved the one I tried which was called – “Spice Spice Baby Honey Cider.” There are also wines by the glass from Justin Winery and a rotating selection of other hard seltzers, sodas, and teas to choose from.
South of Shaw Beer has an assortment of table top games available for your use during your visit, and they also host a weekly trivia night every Tuesday at 7pm.
We regret that we waited so long to check out South of Shaw Beer, however, we’re so happy they made it to their first anniversary (a critical point for any new business) and we can’t wait to see them celebrate many, many more. We’ll definitely be returning soon to try other menu items, and hopefully join in a few trivia nights, too!
FIND SOUTH OF SHAW BEER COMPANY
Phone: (559) 724-9356
Address: 1755 Broadway St Suite 107, Fresno, CA 93721
- 5 Local Businesses You May Not Know - February 16, 2024
- From Heartache to Hope: How One Fresno Man’s Legacy Game ‘Seek Then Find’ Is Uniting Families and Inspiring Learners - February 8, 2024
- Discovering Treasures at Chesterfield’s Antiques in Fresno - February 2, 2024