- Fresno Grizzlies Unveil New Valley-Centric Uniforms and Logos - January 31, 2019
- Date with your Pup? Fresyes, Please! - December 10, 2018
- AR Workshop takes wine and painting to the next level - October 10, 2018
It can be easy to overlook Veterans Day. Nestled between Halloween and Thanksgiving, for some, November 11 can just be a day off work or school. For others, it may mean taking advantage of Veterans Day sales in stores.
It’s so much more than that, of course. Veterans Day is designed to honor those who sacrificed their time and risked their lives in service of our country.
We here at FresYes want to make sure we acknowledge that. If you are a veteran reading this, thank you for your service. If you’re not a veteran, be sure to thank one! And maybe take one out to celebrate with one of the events or deals listed below!
Local Events• The Fresno Veterans Day Parade in downtown Fresno is always a great tradition. This year, pre-parade festivities begin at 10:30 a.m. and the parade steps off at 11 a.m. Saturday The parade route will pass in front of Fresno City Hall on P Street, turn to pass in front of the Veterans Memorial Museum on Fresno Street, then will turn south on M Street. There will be announcers at both locations with the main grandstand in front of City Hall. You can visit the organization’s website for more information.
• After the parade, continue the celebration at one of the local breweries. First up is the Veterans Day Party from 4 to 9 p.m. at Tactical OPS Brewing. They have a standing discount for all veterans and active duty service members, as well as law enforcement. Check their Facebook for location and more information.
• Later in the day, Central California Area Derby is holding a Veterans Day Roller Derby Bout at Full Circle Brewing Co. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the event starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door; veterans and children 10 and under get in free. Beer and food will be available for purchase. Attendees are encouraged to bring your own chairs. Find more information here.
• Meanwhile, in Old Town Clovis, the Clovis Veterans Memorial District has a whole slate of events planned for the day. There will be a pancake breakfast, a car show, live music, a film festival, a “Remember the Fallen” exhibit, a veterans memorabilia display, a concert, and a Veterans Day dinner. For a full schedule and details, visit the organization’s website.
• And all National Parks will be free to all visitors this weekend, as well, so you can enjoy Yosemite or Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks without having to pay the entrance fee.
Discounts and Offers for Veterans
• Applebee’s is offering a free meal to veterans and active duty military members with proof of service on Nov. 11. Participants can pick from one of seven choices on a special menu.
• From Nov. 9-11, Bed Bath & Beyond will give 25% off full purchases to all veterans, military members, and spouses with valid ID. Check what identification you can use here.
• On Nov. 10-11, BJ’s Restaurants is offering a free entrée under $12.95 to all active military members and veterans with military ID. They also have a Buy A Hero A Beer program, where local people have pre-purchased beers and root beers for veterans to enjoy with their meals. Beers must be reserved ahead of time. You can contribute to the Fresno-area fund here. The cost is $6.
• California Pizza Kitchen also has a special menu that veterans and active military members can pick from for a free meal on Nov. 11. Guests must be in uniform or show proof of service.
• Cattlemen’s Steakhouse in Selma is offering a complimentary Small Sirloin Steak Dinner to active, inactive, and retired military personnel on Nov. 11. Details can be found here.
• On Nov. 10, from 5 a.m. to 12 p.m. only, Denny’s is honoring active, inactive, and retired military personnel with a free Build Your Own Grand Slam. Valid military ID is required.
• Active military members and veterans with proof of service or ID are invited to enjoy a stack of IHOP’s Red, White & Blue Pancakes on Nov. 10. Throughout the month of November, IHOP is also donating $1 from every purchase of Red, White & Blue Pancakes to the Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation.
• All active military members and veterans eat free at Olive Garden on Nov. 11. Details can be found on Facebook.
• To thank veterans, active duty military, and reservists for their service, Red Lobster is offering a free appetizer or dessert from a special menu on Nov. 11. Guests need to show a valid military ID or proof of service to redeem this offer.
• Texas Roadhouse is offering a free lunch from a special Veterans Day menu plus a complimentary beverage to active and retired military personnel with proof of service on Nov. 11.
• From Nov. 9-12, Cost Plus World Market is giving veterans, military members, and spouses 25% off everything except alcohol. Valid forms of ID are listed here.Phew! That was a really long list! It’s nice to see so many businesses out there showing appreciation for our veterans. Happy Veterans Day to all of you. And again, thank you for your service!