Recently I watched something amazing happen with one of our listings. Within 48 hours of putting the house on the market, we had 65 showings and received 16 offers.
16 offers in just 48 hours.
The house is now under contract with an offer accepted over asking price. So the question is… why did this happen?
6 steps yield thousands in return
The homeowners wanted to list their home at the end of December. Their agent, Christine, warned them that their house was in need of some repair and updating. Because of this, they would most likely receive offers less than what they hoped for.
So she laid it out for them: List the home as is and get less money for it, or make some suggested upgrades to yield the best ROI (return on investment).
The sellers were a little hesitant at first for obvious reasons; namely because they would have to cover the upfront cost of the updates. But they decided to listen to Christine and move forward with the updates.
At this point, the homeowners were in their new home in another state, so Christine rounded up multiple bids for the work that needed to be done. The sellers chose their contractor and the work began.
These are the updates Christine recommended to her clients:
- Replace the older carpet throughout the home with laminate hardwood floor except in the bedrooms, which would receive new carpet.
- Remove cabinetry that was closing off the kitchen to create an open concept.
- Remove dated wallpaper, apply fresh texture and paint, and add new baseboards throughout the entire house.
- Update a few light fixtures.
- Remove dated curtains to give a new look and a better view to the outside.
- Have the home professionally cleaned and power washed, and then stage it.
The most remarkable part? All of this was completed in just 10 days!
The home was listed on Sunday, Jan. 28. By mid-morning on Monday, requests for showings and offers started pouring in. The homeowners accepted an offer multiple thousands of dollars over asking price, and the property will be closed in 30 days.
This is a great story for homeowners who are worried about making upgrades to a home before listing it. In this example, the clients were concerned about initial out-of-pocket expenses, but they trusted their professional Realtor and, in the end, will receive a lot more return on their investment than if they’d just listed the home as is.
If you’re looking for an agent you can trust with your best interests, I think it’s fair to say you should definitely give Christine Grooms a call!
- Thinking of buying a Condo? We say FresYes! - September 18, 2020
- Tom Seaver, exceptional human, who led ‘Miracle Mets’ to glory, dies at 75 - September 4, 2020
- Is that good ol’ American front porch making a come back? - August 14, 2020