Two weeks ago, I requested your help in compiling the most awesome of all lists of Central Valley Spring activities and sights, and you did not disappoint! I was so pleased with your suggestions and as a life-long Valley native, I was surprised by how many of the suggested places were completely new to me. I can’t wait to check them out!
Here are all of your wonderful suggestions, in no particular order (all with links to corresponding websites so you can easily obtain the additional details necessary to plan your own visits):
2. Enjoy the fun, excitement, food and music of the Clovis Rodeo (April 23-26 with weekend events leading up to the Rodeo) (Thanks for the tip Barbara Perry!)
3. Check out Boyden Cavern (this was a new one for me!) – FresYes reader Kristi Williquette says, “A must see is Boyden Cavern in Kings Canyon National Park! It’s about 20 minutes from Grant’s Grove and it’s gorgeous. I took my four kids in May (ages 6,7,13,14) of last year and they all loved it. You walk up a trail on the outside of the cave which overlooks a flowing river. You enter the cave and get a guided tour! It’s like a whole other world. The gift shop has ice cream and souvenirs (like the hard hats in my picture). There’s picnic tables outside if you want to eat at the river, but 5-10 minutes past the cave is a picnic site at the base of Grizzly Falls (a waterfall). Boyden Cavern is a family day trip that’s a must! It’s a gorgeous, relaxing, beautiful environment – a hidden gem in the Central Valley!”
4. “Enjoy a Fresno Grizzlies game, especially opening night or one of the themed nights.” say both Lori Turner and Angel Rodriquez.
6. Readers Bre Yamaoaka and Erin Woods-Nelson suggests checking out the beautiful Forestiere Underground Gardens (and I would have to agree) though Erin notes it’s not stroller-friendly, so be aware of that when you plan your visit.
7. Lindsay Noorigian suggests hiking the Mist Trail in Yosemite and taking in the beauty of Vernal Falls, and Amanda Walton-Woods says that the San Joaquin River Gorge in Auberry is a great kid-friendly hike.
8. Mary Akina says to roll up your sleeves and find a service project to participate in! You can search for one to join at ServeFresno.org. (I bet they’d welcome your help year-round, too!)
9. Jennifer Rodriguez states the best place to enjoy Spring is at a kids’ baseball diamond! There are games taking place all over the Valley, FresYes encourages you to support your favorite little sluggers (and bring some peanuts and Cracker Jacks, too!)
10. Lisa Bath suggests looking around where ever you may be in the Valley for birds’ nest and sneaking a peek (or a pic!). Her family is enjoying watching birds near their home mature.
11. Anna Marie Mott-Cruz tells of an awesome fishing and picnic area that can be found in Pine Flat just 5 miles from the dam. “The handicap fishing area has a nice area that we can fish and bbq, and has a small trail my daughter loves to run through. A couple weeks ago we went and everything was in blossom and green all around.” She also mentions feeding the fish at the hatchery in Friant is a favorite activity of her daughter’s as well. (Their Trout Fishing Fest is May 2nd, so mark your calendar!)
12. “My kids’ favorite spot lately has been down at the River Center off Friant Rd. There is a cute little trail that’s perfect for kids called “Hidden Homes Nature Trail”. It is a 1-mile trail that hikes around a little pond and shows the “hidden homes” of animals that can be found locally. It’s a great learning experience for the kids and a fun way to get outside and explore, even if you have little ones!” Jamie Chancellor shares.
13. Camping at Hume Lake and enjoying the nearby trails is a must-do for Megan Cantu and family.
14. Reader Tiffani offers two great ideas: “Take a short drive to Bravo Farms in Traver and watch cheese being made, visit the petting zoo, play mini-golf, or check out the shooting gallery! It’s a unique place to do something different. Or, ride the train to Hanford and walk over to enjoy ice cream from Superior Dairy. Yummmm.”
Stephanie Stoven seems to sum up the list, stating, “Being active, outdoors anywhere with your family” is a great plan and frankly, I’m going to have to agree. And, location-wise, this list gives you more than a dozen great options to choose from!
Contest winner: Thank you to everyone who contributed ideas for this fantastic list! (Special thanks to those of you who shared pictures as well!) The winner of the $25 gift card to Bulldog Burger Bistro and FresYes T-Shirt is: Jamie Chancellor! Jamie – please email me your mailing address so we can get your prize out. Congratulations!!! 🙂
- A Scoop of Nostalgia: Discovering Gelateria del Centro in Downtown Fresno - November 27, 2023
- Fall into Joy: 5 Ways to Discover Seasonal Glimmers in Fresno/Clovis - November 16, 2023
- Unique Finds at Bulldog Square: Discover Fresno’s Newest Boutique Gem - November 9, 2023