Cook Local – Chopped Salad
Like I said last week, there is plenty of yummy ingredients in the Farmers Markets still and kale is one of them. It offers so much delicious crunch. Because kale is a strong flavor in this salad we’re using kale & spinach.
No doubt just looking at this salad you’ll love all the goodness it offers. Kale is super healthy for you. Low in calories, great fiber and no fat, it’s definitely something you’ll want to work into your meal plan. And because it’s in season right now, that makes it even more delicious!
Isn’t this gorgeous?
Start by removing the stem from the kale (it is too tough – not good for a salad!) Then slice a couple hard boiled eggs, strawberries, celery and apricots. I also added half of a Granny Smith apple and some pecans.
Top it off with a bright coleslaw dressing – you can use store bought, I won’t tell!
It’s certainly a meal in itself. However this would be a great side salad alongside grilled pork. This chop salad is delicious, crunchy and super good for you! How easy is that?
- 4 cups chopped kale (stems removed finely chopped)
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 2 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup dried apricots, quartered
- 2 boiled eggs
- 2 stalks celery, cleaned well & sliced thinly
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 granny smith apple, diced – no need to peel
- 1/2 lemon
- Chop the kale, spinach & iceberg lettuce and pile it into a bowl.
- Wash & quarter the strawberries, quarter the apricots, slice the celery – add to the bowl. Peel & slice the boiled eggs, add them to the salad. Clean the apple, slice in half – dice thinly and squeeze the lemon over the diced pieces, mixing well so the lemon juice coats the apple. This will keep it from browning.
- Add the pecan halves – top with your favorite dressing and toss well!