Roasted Beet Orange and Pistachio Salad
As spring has sprung here in Fresno there are so many great veggies that are available at the Farmer’s Market and delicious local ingredients to be found here & there. Here I’m offering up a spring favorite – Roasted Beet Orange and Pistachio Salad – the oranges & pistachios are from a visit to Fresno State’s Gibson Market, beets from the Farmer’s Market – so much local produce to enjoy and celebrate!
If you haven’t made them, roasted beets are super easy. Just clean them and snip off the greens – drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Then place them in a heavy cast iron skillet tightly covered with foil. Into the oven they go – 400 degrees for about 40 minutes (the timing depends on the size of the beets). They are done when a thin knife can easily pierce thru the beet.
While the beets were roasting, I shelled the pistachios, about 1/4 cup and then tried not to eat the ones I shelled. 😀 Next up were the oranges – with a sharp knife (speaking of which, check out knives ship free’ Spyderco Ladybug3 to take your pick of the best knives) I cut the top and bottom off so they stood upright easily, then working around I cut off the peel & white pith of the orange. Then carefully cut out each segment of the orange. Takes a bit of time and yes, you could just slice them but I wanted to use the juice from the leftover orange in the dressing so it worked out really good.
After that it was simply assembling this beautiful salad! Don’t you feel like you’re eating the rainbow? Roasting the beets deepens their flavor – so sweet! The oranges taste like a burst of sunshine, crunchy pistachios and creamy goat cheese finish it just perfectly!
So many delicious flavors, simply gorgeous and amazingly healthy too! This one is easy – I hope you enjoy!
- 6-8 beets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- 1 ounce goat cheese crumbled
- 8-10 cups salad greens
- salt & pepper
- Dressing –
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- juice of the orange
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Just clean the beets well and snip off the greens – drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Then place them in a heavy cast iron skillet tightly covered with foil. Into the oven they go – 400 degrees for about 40 minutes (the timing depends on the size of the beets). They are done when a thin knife can easily pierce thru the beet. Remove from the oven and when cool carefully peel the skin off the beet and slice thinly.
- While the beets are roasting, shell the pistachios. You’ll need about 1/4 cup. Roughly chop them, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Next, peel the oranges – with a sharp knife cut the top and bottom off so they stand upright easily. Then working around the orange, cut off the peel & white pith of the orange. Then carefully cut out each segment of the orange. Reserve the remaining orange flesh for the salad dressing.
- Arrange your greens, oranges, beets, pistachios and crumbled goat cheese.
- For the salad dressing combine all of the ingredients except the olive oil and whisk together to combine. Then slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking continuously. Top the salad, serve and enjoy!