Cook Local – Stuffed Greek Sandwich
Sending you down to Eddie’s Bakery today right at the corner of Cedar & Herndon today! While you’re there eyeing all those yummy treats, I want you to pick up a loaf of their sourdough bread. I bet you’re thinking bread? I didn’t even know they made bread! It’s pretty hard to notice because all of those cakes, pies, cookies and treats are so enticing!
But it’s definitely worth it because this is a super yummy sandwich! You know all of those crunchy veggies you get in your favorite Greek Salad – we’re going to stuff them into this bread for the perfect vegetarian sandwich! It’s kinda like an inside out salad. And it’s delicious!
Slice the bread in half and toast it. Make your salad. Add cheese to the bread and top it off with your salad and some dressing. YUM!
This is a vegetarian sandwich, but you can easily add your favorite deli meat – enjoy!
- 1 head crisp romaine lettuce, chopped
- ½ red pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup kalamata olives, sliced
- ¼ cup peperoncino peppers,chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- ½ english cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- Salad Dressing –
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon each – salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons greek salad dressing homemade or store-bought
- 1 loaf Artisan Style Bread.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the loaf of bread in half and remove some of the excess breading. This will make it easier to stuff the sandwich. Using a pastry brush, brush the olive oil on both sides of the bread and season well with salt & pepper. Place the loaf in the preheated oven and bake until crispy and golden brown – 12 to 15 minutes.
- While the loaf of bread is browning, prepare the salad; chop or slice the romaine, onion, tomatoes, cucumbers & olives and place them in a large bowl. Top with the salad dressing and toss well.
- When the bread is nicely browned remove it from the oven and top with crumbled feta cheese. Add the salad and place the “lid” on the bread. Push down to secure, slice & serve!
- Serve excess salad along with – this makes 4 generous slices.