Cream of Broccoli Soup
Before I share this week’s recipe I wanted to share with you the inspiration for this post. Today I visited the Kaiser Farmer’s Market. I think many people think it’s fall, nearly winter – there’s nothing at the market, but that’s wrong! Just look at the amazing produce still available; beautiful cauliflower, tomatoes both red & green – so sweet and delicious! Beautiful red leaf lettuce, kale and cilantro and the star of today’s show broccoli!
The broccoli at the market right now tastes BEST this time of year. I don’t know if it’s the warm days/cool nights, but the flavor is amazing! So if you can make it to your local farmers market, be sure to pick up some!
Ok…time to talk broccoli soup. This Cream of Broccoli Soup takes only 30 minutes to make, so it’s an easy weeknight meal. AND it’s incredibly delicious!
When I was a little girl we lived in St. Helens, OR. In our tiny little town was a five & dime store that had a lunch counter – one of the old fashioned ones that served homemade milk shakes, soups and sandwiches. They served the best food!
Eating in town was a real treat. On those rare occasions that we would get to eat at the lunch counter they always served a delicious creamy Broccoli Soup. It’s something I’ve made several times because this used to be my Grandmother’s favorite so as I write this today, I’m reflecting on the past – great memories, one and all, of a time long ago.
Loaded with vegetables and very cheesy you take a shortcut with help from the food processor. This yummy, creamy soup is so tasty everyone will think you’ve spent hours developing the flavor, when in reality it takes longer to chop up the vegetables than it does to cook the soup!
Easy, cheesy, creamy 30 Minute Broccoli Cheese Soup will be perfect for dinner tonight!
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1 onion
- 1 8 oz. package sliced mushrooms
- 2 carrots peeled & chopped
- 1 large or 2 small heads garlic
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups shredded cheese (I used a sharp cheddar)
- 2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Start by removing just the ends of the florets from the broccoli stems – set aside in a bowl. You’ll need 4-6 cups of florets. Roughly chop the stems and place into a food processor.
- Peel & chop the carrots, place into the same bowl with the broccoli florets
- Peel and roughly chop the onion, place it into the food processor. Peel & chop the garlic and into the food processor it goes also. Add all of the mushrooms into the food processor and pulse to process until all of the ingredients are well pureed.
- Using a heavy bottom pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the olive oil. When the oil is simmering, add the vegetable puree, broccoli and carrots. Stirring occasionally saute for about 8 minutes. After 8 minutes, add the flour and mix together well. Continue stirring and cooking the mixture for about 2 more minutes. You’ll want to cook the flour taste out and the roux/vegetable mixture will turn a light gold color.
- Add the chicken stock and stir. The mixture will really thicken. After a couple of minutes, add the cheese and continue to stir until it melts. Add the milk and heat thru. If desired, add the tabasco sauce – this just adds a nice background spice – it won’t make it hot! That’s eat – serving and enjoy!
Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram!
Latest posts by Souper Chef Deb (see all)
- Learn All About Kingsburg Honey & Why Bees Rock - January 14, 2017
- How to Make Lemon Drop Martinis with Locally Made Corbin Vodka - January 5, 2017
- Eat Local – The Schoolhouse Restaurant - December 29, 2016