Bacon Wrapped Smoked Pork Loin
Memorial Day is next weekend so if you’re cooking for a crowd, I have just the recipe for you! My cousin was the star of the show on July 4th when he made this meal. And for this, I’m going to send you back to The Meat Market – Clovis or Fresno – depending on which location is best for you! I stopped by this morning and right now they have lots of pork loins and at $3.99 a pound that’s an affordable protein & great way to serve an amazing meal to a large crowd!
The Meat Market – is going to have everything you need for this bbq, including pork loin, bacon, seasoning salt, rib rub and some spices. In fact if you’re looking for one stop shopping they also have a great selection of add-ons like twice baked potatoes, pre-made pasta salads, beverages – you name it, load up on all the goodies while you’re there!
Like I said, this will feed a crowd, a 10-12 lb pork loin will feed 20-25 people. And it’s easy, really the toughest thing you’ll need to do is take the bacon and make a basketweave. After that, you’ll mix together the spices and rub them all over the loin. Next take the bacon-weave and place on top of the pork loin and secure it with toothpicks (that you’ve soaked in water to keep them from burning). Fire up the smoker, insert a meat thermometer and grab a beverage (or two!) and man the grill! 😀
If you don’t have a remote digital meat thermometer, I’d recommend making the investment. They are relatively inexpensive and make it so much easier when smoking because you won’t have to open/close the smoker – which allows the temp to fluctuate (big no-no when smoking).
You’re gonna love this one. The bacon keeps the meat smokey and moist, the flavor is fabulous and everyone’s mouth will be watering when you’re ready to pull it off the grill! My cousin served up this amazing meal to the family – all 35 of them – at a family reunion. It was fabulous! And if you’re looking for ideas for sides, don’t forget to drop by the website – I have a TON of great salads to serve alongside this delicious meal!
Have a safe & Happy Memorial Day!!
- 1 10-12 lb. boneless pork tenderloin
- 2 pounds thick cut bacon
- 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 2 tbsp of thyme
- 4 tablespoons of seasoning salt (we used Lawry’s)
- 2 tbsp of rib rub + 1 additional tablespoon (we used Famous Dave’s)
- 3-4 tbsp of water
- 6-8 toothpicks soaked in water for at least an hour
- Remove the fat & silver from the pork tenderloin.
- Weave the bacon together (similar to a basket weave or pie crust), set aside.
- Chop the garlic and combine it with the thyme, seasoning salt and 1 tablespoon of the rib rub. Mix with 3-4 tablespoons water to form a paste.
- Rub the entire pork loin with the mustard. Follow with the garlic/spice paste mixture.
- Cover the top of the pork tenderloin with the bacon, lightly dust the remaining tablespoon of rib rub over the top of the pork loin. Secure the bacon in place with a couple of toothpicks.
- Smoke at 225 for 2 hrs and then finished with no smoke for 3 ish hours or until internal meat temp is 150 degrees.
- Remove from grill, loosely wrap in foil & allow to rest for about 20 minutes.Slice & serve!
Follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram!
Latest posts by Souper Chef Deb (see all)
- Learn All About Kingsburg Honey & Why Bees Rock - January 14, 2017
- How to Make Lemon Drop Martinis with Locally Made Corbin Vodka - January 5, 2017
- Eat Local – The Schoolhouse Restaurant - December 29, 2016