Latest posts by Natali Carrera (see all)
- Meet the local police officer who balances career, family, and an amazing BBQ business - September 19, 2018
- 10 things you didn’t know about H&M, Fashion Fair’s newest retail store - September 12, 2018
- Tower’s new Bocca Taqueria satisfies your cravings for flavorful tacos - September 5, 2018
H&M is still a relatively new retailer to the area, so I thought it would be fun to learn a bit more about the store. In my research, I learned not only about their exciting grand opening plans, but also how much the chain of stores cares not just about fashion, but also sustainability and resource conservation.
10 Fun Facts About H&M
1. H&M stores are known around the world for offering affordable and sustainable ready-to-wear fashion clothing in a wide range of styles and sizes.
2. The H stands for Hennes, which is Swedish for “hers” as well as the name of a women’s clothing store founded in Sweden in 1947 by Erling Persson. Later, Persson purchased the building and inventory of a hunting store called Mauritz Widforss. After the acquisition, Perrson decided to begin selling men’s clothing as well as women’s, so he renamed his store Hennes & Mauritz, which later was shortened to H&M.
3. H&M prides itself in treating employees well and providing career paths. In 2017, the store earned the ranking of #1 Employer in the fashion industry by Forbes.
4. Every single U.S. H&M store is powered by renewable energy, including all 78 California locations.
5. H&M cares about sustainability and the impact the fashion and textile industry has on landfills. The chain of stores was the first in the world to launch an across-the-board textile recycling program. Shoppers can bring bags of no longer needed clothing or textiles, in any condition, to their local H&M store and they will be recycled responsibly.
6. In 2017 alone, H&M stopped more than 2.5 million pounds of unwanted clothing and textiles from being added to U.S. landfills.
7. The new 22,000 square foot Fashion Fair H&M location will be located at 559 E. Shaw Ave. next to the Disney store, between Macy’s for Men and JC Penney.
8. The Fashion Fair H&M store will carry clothing for men, women, children, and infants, plus offer a separate “store-in-store” accessories selection.
9. To celebrate the new store, customers at the H&M at Fashion Fair can line up before noon on opening day for a chance to win an H&M Fashion Pass valued up to $500, while supplies last, in addition to other surprise offers for the whole family.
10. Customers who participate in the clothing and textile recycling program by bringing unwanted items on opening day will have a chance to win gift cards from $50–$500 in value.
So, will you be recycling and shopping this Thursday, Sept 13, at H&M in Fashion Fair, and possibly winning prizes? I hope so! Have fun and good luck!