Latest posts by Natali Carrera (see all)
- Basilwood Farm now offering tasty bites, cheese-making classes and more! - August 8, 2018
- 5 things to learn in Fresno this August - August 1, 2018
- FresYes People to Know: Chef Shayna Telesmanic - July 27, 2018
Modern calligraphy has become extremely popular, and can be seen not only throughout Pinterest and Instagram but also in marketing, on t-shirts, brand logos and store signage. Beautiful, hand-written typography can enhance the appeal of almost any phrase, quote or invitation—however, being able to create it remains a skill that must be learned and honed.
If you’ve ever wanted to be able to create your own calligraphy, there are three classes for calligraphy beginners coming up this month in the Fresno area.
Intro to Modern Calligraphy Class
When: Saturday, August 12, from 1-4 p.m.
Where: The Urban Umbrella 519 4th Street, Clovis, CA
Hosted by: Shelley Borcherding of Scribble & Script
About the class: Ideal for beginners, this class will teach the fundamentals of Modern Calligraphy, going over each letter of the alphabet. Everything will be supplied, including a workbook that you will be able to take home and practice with.
About the instructor: Shelley teaches both the creative and fundamental sides of calligraphy, and has taught more than 80 classes in calligraphy. Check out past student reviews here.
- 12-page bound practice workbook and permanent access to a digital copy to print out at home
- Tombow calligraphy brush pen, gold paint pen, and pencil (all supplied in a cute muslin bag)
- One 8×10 canvas
- Hand-lettered goodie bag with your name on it
- Complimentary beverages (alcoholic and non)
Kyligraphy Intro Class
When: Sunday, August 13, and Sunday, August 20, from 1-3:30 p.m.
Where: Kings River Winery 4276 South Greenwood Ave., Sanger, CA
Hosted by: Kyli Frauenheim
About the instructor: Kyli Frauenheim is a self-taught letterer and calligrapher, and owner of Kyligraphy Hand Lettering & Design. She specializes in writing on glass and other surfaces and was the first to teach modern calligraphy and hand lettering in the Central Valley.
- “How to Hand Letter: an introduction” workbook
- pencil and pens
- project supplies
- two glasses of Kings River Winery wine