Last week, I talked about the proposed downtown Fresno public market. Specifically, I talked about what I wanted to see in this market, then I invited you to add your suggestions.
There were some really great recommendations, and one special addition. Stephanie Reed, a designer with the architect firm Paul Halajian Architects, added a link to what the proposed project will look like, and said now is the time to speak up about what you want.
Click through to see renderings of the market. Here is how it is described by the architect firm:
The main program components include areas for co-op type food stands, local artisan/craft vendors, an educational food lab, as well as ethnically diverse dining options. The existing building shell includes a full basement, ground level, and mezzanine that could be expanded to provide additional seating.
The bottom level would be focused on the educational and support areas, including kitchens that could be rented by small startup businesses on an hourly/daily basis. The ground floor would include nearly 40 vendor spaces, a wine and beer garden as well as a transparent facade with large roll-up doors to blur the lines between interior and exterior, activating Fulton Street throughout the day.
Sounds pretty cool, right? So, here is what Fresno wants from its public market. Feel free to add your suggestions in the comments and I’ll add them to this list.
• Fresno State viniculture wine
• Beef by Harris Ranch
• Salami by Busseto
• Flowers by Kikku
• Different breads and bakeries
• Latino selection
• Place to buy Madera Wine Trail tickets
• Cooking classes
• Yoga and beer class
• Place where kids can learn about food
• An open-air, year round facility selling only local, as organic possible
• Local artisan work from ceramic makers, jewelers, painters
• Local meats
• Handmade goods like soaps and ceramics
• Kids babysitting/supervision spot, like at Ikea
Latest posts by Heather McLane (see all)
- This is what it’s like to take a taco tour in a stretch vehicle - August 22, 2017
- Here’s what you should do this weekend - August 18, 2017
- Shania Twain is coming to Fresno’s Save Mart Center - August 17, 2017