Latest posts by Joanne Lui (see all)
- The Annex Kitchen to be featured on “The Best Thing I Ever Ate” - January 4, 2018
- Enjoy these Christmas light displays before time runs out - December 19, 2017
- Here’s your guide to Veterans Day events and discounts - November 9, 2017
When it comes to beauty services, word of mouth is a powerful thing. How many of us would risk our hair, nails, skin, etc. to strangers without the recommendation of a trusted girlfriend?
So I’m here to tell you about some of my favorite places around town; plus, I got some extra input from some of MY trusted girlfriends about where they go to get pretty and more! In part one, I’ll do hair, eyebrows and nails. Next week, we’ll cover facials, tanning and massages.
You know those salons where you pay $100 for a haircut and feel like you have to be all put together before you even go in? Hair Central is not one of those places. I’ve been getting my hair done here for 10 years, and it’s more like going to hang out with a bunch of fabulous friends, and getting high-end hair cut with a low-key vibe – and price! It’s only $20 for a basic haircut, and $50 for a full-service cut including wash, blow-dry and style.
Hair Central is a family-friendly salon located at the Willow Station shopping center on Willow and Nees in Clovis. All of the girls there do great haircuts, but I always book my appointment with owner Panee Fong. I trust her so much that half the time, I walk in there and say, “Do whatever you want. I have no idea.” And I always walk out happy!
I had an appointment this week to celebrate the end of my busy summer season by chopping my ponytail-length hair off. Not only did Panee make me feel a million times better when she was done, but (knowing my general hair ineptness) she took the time to teach me three different ways to style my new cut.
Seriously, I can’t say enough about how much I love the staff at Hair Central. (I’m not saying this is a regular service, but Panee even fed me pizza once while she was styling my hair for a wedding). They’re open 7 days a week; call 559-323-9393 to make an appointment.
- Estancia Day Spa & Salon at Willow & Nees in Fresno (559-298-0200)
- Jia Salon and Spa at Champlain & Perrin in Fresno (559-433-9824). Natali said to ask for Brandi Clover, specifically.
- J Salon & Co. at Bullard & Fresno in Fresno (559-261-4257). Natali said to ask for Bailey Donnelly.
- Salon Del Monaco at Champlain & Perrin in Fresno (559-434-5511). Martha said to ask for Mark.
- Shear Magic at Fowler & Ashlan in Clovis (559-292-3500). Crista said for a quick hair cut, they do “a fantastic job for $15!”
I have also been getting my eyebrows waxed once a month at Hair Central for 10 years. Three of the years, I lived in San Luis Obispo, and still had it done there! All of the girls do an excellent job despite my habit of letting them grow in too long. (Can you say bush woman?!)
This week when I went in, they had a surprise for me: They now do eyebrow threading! I’ve heard about it plenty of times and never given it a try, so I decided it was time. They did a great job, of course! I haven’t decided yet if I’ll do it again or stick with what I know, but I would recommend them for both waxing and threading!
- Leytha’s Day Spa on Friant & Fort Washington in Fresno for eyebrow threading (559-440-0772)
- Bombay Look Salon on Spruce & Herndon in Fresno for eyebrow threading (559-277-1228)
- Benefit Cosmetics Brow Bar at all Macy’s & Ulta locations in Fresno & Clovis for eyebrow waxing. Amy says she loves that she can pop in without an appointment.
Confession time: I hate people touching my feet, and up until a year ago, I was afraid to get a pedicure. When I was finally talked into trying it, though, the only place I would trust to do it was Nails 4 Ever, where I’ve been getting my nails done for many years. And they did not let me down! In fact, I enjoyed the experience so much that I now get pedicures at least once a month!
Nails 4 Ever, located on Maple and Behymer in Fresno, has all the nail services you want and offers them at one of the lowest prices in town. Owner Michelle Lieu and her staff all do a great job. Before a recent baseball trip, I whipped out a Pinterest photo and asked one of the girls to recreate the nail art. I got so many compliments on the result!
Nails 4 Ever also does facials, massages and eyebrow waxing (although I am loyal to Hair Central on this front, my best friend has been waxed here and says it’s great). You can call to make an appointment at 559-434-3549 or even text Michelle at 559-283-6307.
- Muses Spa & Salon on Cedar & Teague in Fresno (559-440-0772). A couple of gals recommended this one. Jennifer said, in particular, that they have beautiful pedicure rooms if you’re looking for more of a private spa experience!
- Aqua Nails & Spa on Clovis & Shaw in Clovis (559-299-4167). My friend Jessica was a nail biter and said Jon did an excellent job of rehabilitating her nails with pink & whites.
- California Oasis Nail Salon and Spa on Palm & Nees in Fresno (559-840-2246). Debbie said the “owners are so nice and accommodating as well as keep a very clean salon.”
So those are some of my favorite places to go when I want to look and feel my best! I’d love to hear from you about what your spots are!