Latest posts by Joanne Lui (see all)
- 6 reasons you should go to a Grizzlies game - April 5, 2018
- Butterfish app makes ordering poke fast and easy - February 21, 2018
- The Annex Kitchen to be featured on “The Best Thing I Ever Ate” - January 4, 2018
Last week, I featured some of the salons around town that my friends and I count on to make us feel beautiful. This week, let’s talk some more about being pampered!
Mystique Medical Spa – Facials and More
My biggest guilty pleasure is probably getting facials. I especially love the hot steam and warm beds at Mystique Medical Spa in the fall and winter. The facial room at Mystique is quiet and soothing, the perfect way to unwind after a stressful day, and I love their shoulder massages and the products they use.
My friends and I have a longstanding love affair with Mystique. We actually started going there to get laser hair removal. The LightSheer DUET laser can be nearly painless (especially compared to the old style of laser, which I have also tried), only takes 5-20 minutes per session depending on what area you’re doing (with a recommended six sessions total, every 6-8 weeks). It has totally changed my life! I’ve done my underarms and legs, allowing me to wear skirts and dresses all summer long without having to worry about whether I’ve shaved my legs. My friend has actually done a full Brazilian and hair on her stomach. They also offer hair removal for men on backs, chests and more.
Other services at Mystique include botox, tattoo removal and laser skin tightening. All of these things can be pricey, BUT I’ll tell you a secret: Mystique always has some great deals! Not only do they do monthly specials, but their semi-annual spa night, happening September 25th, is a can’t-miss event! They’ll have food, alcohol and experts on hand to talk about their services and products, which will be up to 60% off.
I always go with my best friend and have a blast while stocking up on services for the season, and even picking up at free gift card along the way!
- Sheer Bliss in downtown Fresno for facials (559-229-7272) . Cara calls this place “amazing!!!!”
- Facelogic in Clovis for facials (559-324-SKIN).
I will confess that I tend to look at price over luxury when it comes to massages. Though I can admit to you that my attempt to save money by going to one of those Chinese massage places was a pretty bad plan (apologies to my people).
So a recent discovery I love is Sierra’s Star Treatment near Old Town Clovis. Although Sierra just works out of a small space in an office complex, her massage was great. Once the lights go out, you can relax anywhere with the right masseuse. And at $50 (or sometimes less) for a 60-minute Swedish massage, her prices can’t be beat!
- Muses Spa & Salon on Cedar & Teague in Fresno (559-440-0772). Several ladies recommended Muses. If you’re looking for the full spa experience, this is definitely the way to go!
- Sheer Bliss in downtown Fresno for massages (559-229-7272) . Cara says it’s “one if the few places in town that do great pre-natal massages. And great with foot reflexology.”
As Californians, it’s our duty to maintain a tan all year round, right?! My favorite place is The Tannery on Cedar & Herndon in Fresno. They have awesome deals on their tanning beds, but in recent years, what I go to them for is spray tanning. They have a certified technician give you a tan, so you can put all those fears of looking like Ross on “Friends” out of your head. It’s a personalized experience, and the only thing you have to worry about is making sure your dog doesn’t jump on you before your tan dries (or maybe that’s just me haha).
- A Touch of Gold Tanning in Fresno (559-434-8266) and Clovis (559-297-8269). Recommended by many of my friends for tanning beds or airbrush.
So those are some of the places that my friends and I love.
Tell us in the comments: Where do you go to pamper yourself?