Breaking bread around a table with friends and family has been an adored pastime since as long as anyone knows, and during this time of the year we all do it a bit more than usual – this is a good thing 🙂
Before you hit your favorite grocery store remember one of the biggest reasons so many people love Fresyes, CA… its abundance of locally grown fresh fruit and vegetables, and the various farmers markets that you can find them at.
Let’s face it, locally grown food looks and taste better. When you buy food grown locally it has likely been picked in the last day or two and will be bursting with flavor, freshness, and nutrients… you can’t say the same about frozen or food trucked in from Chile, Florida, or Central America.
Not only are you helping yourself and your family when buying direct local, you are also helping the farmer (who is slowly becoming the way of the rotary dial phone). Would it surprise you to learn that the farmer now gets less than 10 cents of the retail food dollar?!
Local farmers who sell direct to consumers cut out the middleman and get full retail price for their food; which means farm families can afford to stay on the farm, doing the work they love.
So help yourself to some delicious fruits and vegetables while re-establishing a time-honored tradition between the grower and the consumer. In November I’m thinking table grapes, persimmons, plums, pomegranates, fall broccoli, long beans, squash, eggplant, tomatoes, bell pepper, leafy vegetables and citrus!
Times of operation vary so be sure to ask a friend or search the web but here are a handful of favorites I suggest you give a try:
– Market On the Mall on Historic Fulton Mall at Mariposa Mall
– Fresno State Farm Market at 5360 N Chestnut
– Vineyard Farmer’s Market at the Northwest corner of Blackstone and Shaw
– Tower Farmers’ Market on Olive in the Tower District
– Riverpark Farmers’ Market on the east side of Blackstone and Nees
– Fresno Medical Center Farmers Market at Kaiser Permanente
– Old Town Clovis Farmers Market near 5th street and Clovis Avenue